Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fabric buying moratorium... it's time for an update! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fabric-buying-moratorium-its-time-update-t171789.html)

Favorite Fabrics 12-12-2011 06:48 AM

Fabric buying moratorium... it's time for an update!

Early this year, many of you posted that you were on a fabric-buying moratorium for 2011.

Now that we're nearly at the end of the year, let us know how it turned out.

Did you really "shop your stash"?

Or did you find that you purchased about the same amount of fabric as in previous years?

Or maybe you wound up somewhere in the middle.

Tell us how your year went!

fivepaws 12-12-2011 08:05 AM

I bought fabric as if my life depended on it. I seem to buy more when I am depressed, or see a sale that I can't let pass. I did not do well on my promise to only shop from my stash. Once again, my self-control isn't!!

QuiltnNan 12-12-2011 09:08 AM

I only bought quilting fabric one time - to finish a project. Otherwise, I stuck to the moratorium... Now if I could only stick to my diet like that :)

DonnaB 12-12-2011 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan (Post 4775120)
I only bought quilting fabric one time - to finish a project. Otherwise, I stuck to the moratorium... Now if I could only stick to my diet like that :)

I think we all agree on a diet moratorium.

I too only bought fabric once, it was such a super sale at 65% off, a LQS going out of business, just couldn't say no.

Caroline S 12-12-2011 09:19 AM

I practiced the moratorium. I did buy a bolt of my favorite black batik and the rest of the bolt of some must have Lady Yang fabric. I did most of my fabric shopping at thrift stores. I keep an Excel log of the thrift store purchases and this year date I purchased over 300 yards of fabric for about $1.00 a yard. Now I have to put myself on a Vintage sewing machine moratorium, I have run out of room to put anymore.

IAmCatOwned 12-12-2011 09:32 AM

My fabric moratorium is for 2012. Purchases only to finish projects, BOM in progress and for block swaps. I have plenty of PIGS and UFOs and a now huge collection of Asian fabrics bought just this year.

MaryMo 12-12-2011 09:33 AM

Unlike dieting when I know they'll be another bowl of ice cream or piece of chocolate pie, fabric won't be there a second time around when the price is a bargain. I buy from fabric stashes, estate sales, thrift stores, and super great store sales. A side benefit is that I met some great quilters, sewers, and found out about this forum where I met some wonderful friends and learned so much from you all. Thanks!

valleyquiltermo 12-12-2011 09:39 AM

Everytime I tell myself no more fabric or vintage machines I find a sale I can't let pass by.
I'm out of room now so I'm hoping this will squash any more buying for a while. LOL
Pray for me.

AnnieF 12-12-2011 09:42 AM

I have been using the moratorium as an excuse for stepping away from the cash register a whole lot of the time. I haven't always been successful, but at least when I plunk down money for fabric, I know what I'm doing with it....not just shopping for stash. I'm also going through my stash and cutting up the smaller pieces into 5" squares and 2 1/2" strips because I noticed that small pieces get lost amongst the larger pieces. This way, I have what I need when I'm making a scrappy quilt. The only problem is that I've been cutting and straightening for quite some time now and only have 2 large shelves finished....about 8 more to go.

Rann 12-12-2011 10:25 AM

I bought some fabric but not nearly as much as in 2010.