Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fabric.com is shutting down. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fabric-com-shutting-down-t319377.html)

cashs_mom 10-21-2022 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by AUQuilter (Post 8572072)
In the fall of 2010, I placed my first order at Fabric.com, when it was privately owned. I loved the "Stephen's Scrap Bags" and found sales of great quilt fabric cut to order. Loved when I got "JACKPOT end of the bolt", especially when it was a wide backing. Then Amazon bought it. Gone were the scrap bags and personal service but the JACKPOT bonus stayed the same. I wasn't surprised when I saw the announcement. Wages/benefits, energy costs and other overhead are driving closings of businesses or the cost up. Only time will tell if Amazon continues to sell quilt fabric.

Whether or not there is fabric on Amazon won't just depend on Amazon selling fabric.com fabrics. Many of the fabrics on Amazon are sold by other sellers so if they keep selling there, then there will keep being fabric sold on Amazon whether or not Amazon is selling it.

lindaschipper 10-22-2022 03:17 AM

Did I read the original announcement wrong? I thought it said that fabric.com would be selling through Amazon from now on. If this is correct, it's really not going away totally, just being swallowed up by Amazon.

mkc 10-22-2022 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by lindaschipper (Post 8572177)
Did I read the original announcement wrong? I thought it said that fabric.com would be selling through Amazon from now on. If this is correct, it's really not going away totally, just being swallowed up by Amazon.

Fabric.com did sell some things through Amazon. They are shutting down completely. The notice to vendors, referenced in the original post, states:

"Fabric.com will close down on October 20. Employees have been offered a severance package or the opportunity to seek employment in another Amazon division. "

That article also states:

"About six months ago, Amazon reached out to Fabric.com vendors to say that all fabric would soon need to be sold directly on Amazon.com. Vendors were told to upload all of their products to Amazon in one, three, or five-yard increments"

So Fabric.com's suppliers would need to sell as third parties on Amazon.com, and list in fixed yardage cuts.

TheMerkleFamily 10-22-2022 05:00 AM

Click through aashley333's link to the AMAZON Fabric Shop - it certainly appears Amazon is committed to supporting our craft and, as others have noted, may have folded in the fabric.com products under the Amazon site. Consolidation is not surprising given the economic circumstances.

cashs_mom 10-22-2022 07:16 AM

One of the problems with buying fabric from Amazon is that a lot is precuts or set amounts. It says "by the yard" but when you click thru to the item, it's a 1 yard or 2 yard cut priced BTY. Makes it hard to buy a continuous cut of larger pieces.

Jingle 10-24-2022 03:55 PM

Too many different statements. some swear the fabric will be gone. some say it won't. Always no shortage of rumors.
I buy only from local stores so this doesn't affect me.

aashley333 10-26-2022 04:33 AM

I tried to shop fabric on Amazon yesterday. Not as user friendly to narrow the 10,000 choices as Fabric. I'm spoiled. I guess I'll have to find another fabric seller online.

WesternWilson 10-26-2022 09:09 AM

I am sad to hear this. I buy a LOT of my quilting cottons online as I have no quiltshops nearby...they all take a considerable drive to get to and it is hit and miss in terms of getting what I want. I used fabric.com often over the years.

LogCabin82 10-26-2022 09:22 AM

I liked the variety fabric.com had, but I didn't shop often there--- maybe in the early years, but not recently. I sometimes get fabric on Amazon, but sometimes find it hard to tell if it's good quality or not and some of the fabric has been...a bit poor quality. Sometimes I do find the fabric comes from a quilt shop though, through Amazon, which is good. I found chicken fabric on a quilt shop site where you could order it through Amazon and get prime shipping, so that was good. I guess it just varies.

cashs_mom 10-26-2022 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by aashley333 (Post 8572780)
I tried to shop fabric on Amazon yesterday. Not as user friendly to narrow the 10,000 choices as Fabric. I'm spoiled. I guess I'll have to find another fabric seller online.

I agree. Not really user friendly or easy to search like a quilt shop site.