Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fabric cutters (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fabric-cutters-t252183.html)

marywalker375 08-20-2014 08:48 AM

Fabric cutters

There are several fabric cutters available. There's Accuquilt Go, Sizzix, and there may be an electric one. Which cutter is the best for an everyday quilter like myself?

Mary

dunster 08-20-2014 09:13 AM

I use a rotary cutter and a ruler. It's less expensive, more versatile, and wastes less fabric than other options.

crafty pat 08-20-2014 09:22 AM

I agree with dunster, as long as my hands and arms hold up I am staying with my rotary. I love playing with beautiful fabric and enjoy the cutting process.

Sewnoma 08-20-2014 09:36 AM

There's a thread here somewhere about Accuquilt and there is another system called the Fiskars Fuse that is designed to work with lots of different dies, with their adapter sets.

I don't have any of them myself, but am considering an Accuquilt cutter for cutting things like circles and rag quilt blocks.

gigi712 08-20-2014 09:40 AM

Accuquilt rocks!

Onebyone 08-20-2014 10:00 AM

I have tried most all die cutter machines even the newest ones that are digital. Any national quilt show will have then all ready to try out. I like the Accuquilt best. If you have wasted fabric you aren't using it right. That goes for any of the die cut machines.

bjchad 08-20-2014 11:13 AM

I use the sizzix big shot pro and can use accuquilt dies as well as sizzix dies. The go dies have to be shimmed but are no problem and I recently got a couple accuquilt studio dies and can use those as well with a little care. (Not sure I could use really long studio dies, the ones I got are relatively short.).
The thing is that dies as well as cutter are expensive so you only want to get ones that you will use regularly.

Sewnoma 08-20-2014 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 6852607)
I have tried most all die cutter machines even the newest ones that are digital. Any national quilt show will have then all ready to try out.

You know....I don't think I've ever seen Accuquilt at a show. I went to the PIQF last year and I don't recall seeing them there; that's the largest quilt show I've been to. I'll be going again this year, I'll have to keep my eyes peeled! It's possible they were there last year and I just missed them; I wasn't in the market for a die cutting system at all last year so they weren't on my radar.

coopah 08-20-2014 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by bjchad (Post 6852696)
I use the sizzix big shot pro and can use accuquilt dies as well as sizzix dies. The go dies have to be shimmed but are no problem and I recently got a couple accuquilt studio dies and can use those as well with a little care. (Not sure I could use really long studio dies, the ones I got are relatively short.).
The thing is that dies as well as cutter are expensive so you only want to get ones that you will use regularly.

I have the Big Shot and bought one die...2 1//2" square. It doesn't waste fabric and help with accuracy.

gale 08-20-2014 04:27 PM

I have the big shot pro. I LOVE it. For both fabric and for papercrafting (I have a regular size big shot as well).