Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fabric Distortion (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fabric-distortion-t234688.html)

Evy 11-14-2013 04:03 AM

Fabric Distortion

Has anyone had a problem with Joann's Symphony Broadcloth losing it's shape? (If I can explain this without confusing the issue) I'm working on a pattern, Card Trick, that uses lots of HSTs and QSTs. I start out with a perfectly straight square, cut it, still nice straight edges, but when I sew the halves together, I end up with a curved or bowed edge on the broadcloth side. It's making me crazy. The other half of the triangles don't lose their shape and the fabric in them is the regular quilting cotton. I've tried loosening the tension and sewing very slowly. This happened on another quilt I was working on and I ended up cutting all the broadcloth squares almost a half inch larger and then squaring them it. It's such a waste of fabric that way. I've just started this and only cut enough for one square, so starting over is not a problem. It's just that I have 5 yards of this fabric and hate to waste it.
Thanks

MartiMorga 11-14-2013 04:21 AM

what a shame! I personally haven't had a problem but have not really used it that way. Have you tried starching it "severely" before cutting? Just a thought. Good luck, hope someone has an answer for you.

justducky65 11-14-2013 05:40 AM

I have had problems with the Symphony the last few times I used it in a sewing project. I don't know if it's the tightness of the weave or because it is polyester/cotton blend or a combination of the two. It tends to pucker when I sew with it even if I lengthy my stitches. I used to like it because it would wrinkle less when making simple gathered curtains, but anymore I tend to stick with 100% cotton.

Holice 11-14-2013 05:56 AM

Did you pre wash?

Tartan 11-14-2013 06:06 AM

Triangles can be tricky with bias edges. I starch my fabric if I will have bias edges and handle them carefully. If your broadcloth has polyester in it however a hot iron will shrink and distort it.

ManiacQuilter2 11-14-2013 08:14 AM

I wouldn't use anything in a quilt that wasn't 100% cotton. I have never used that fabric before because I didn't like the feel of it. A famous quilter Harriet Hargrave once said: Buy the best fabric that you can afford.

If you have had this problem before, I wouldn't use this fabric again. Robert Kaufman Kona Cotton use to be the standard for solid colors but now Moda and Timeless Treasure have come out with solid colors. Hancock's of Paducah carries both Kona Cotton and TT with a wide selection of colors. And shipping is NOW $5.00!! Thanks goodness a reputable store has dropped the cost of shipping fabrics !!

sweetana3 11-14-2013 09:02 AM

If it has poly in it as someone mentioned, it will not "work" the same as 100% cotton. I tried doing a quild charity kit with poly squares in it and almost threw up my hands. Hated it.

tessagin 11-14-2013 09:09 AM

I spray starch the broadcloth before I cut and usually only for foundation piecing like crazy quilts. I hate when it distorts because then I have puckers. But always starch some way.

Prism99 11-14-2013 09:13 AM

I would heavily starch the broadcloth before cutting the squares. This will stabilize the fabric when sewing on the bias. Spray starch might help, but I always just go immediately to the heaviest starching solution if I anticipate any distortion using a fabric. My method is to mix a 1:1 solution of Sta-Flo liquid laundry starch and water, "paint" this onto the yardage using a large wall painting brush, allow a couple of minutes to make sure the fibers have absorbed the max amount of starch, throw in dryer, then iron with steam. This works really well on flannel too when you need accurate piecing.

Tfch8184 11-14-2013 03:05 PM

I hate that stuff. I ended up purchasing some on accident because my dumb butt didn't read the labels and was in a rush.

Thankfully I only bought half yards but I stashed it away from my quilting fabrics. I'm using it for some nook and kindle cases because it involves loose measurements so I don't have to stress over it being wonky.

If your determined to use it in the quilt starch starch starch and don't use an omg hot iron cuz it will melt.