Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fabric-driven quilts may be a thing of the past for me (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fabric-driven-quilts-may-thing-past-me-t188897.html)

Mkotch 05-15-2012 02:48 AM

Try setting them block=to-block on point before setting them with sashing. Also, how about trying snowball blocks between them?

Cindy60545 05-15-2012 03:15 AM

I agree with some of the others, maybe a medium cream sashing? I think you definitely need a seperator to the blocks, but dark color wouldn't look as good.

callen 05-15-2012 04:41 AM

That would too bad if it becomes a UFO as individually the fabrics are very pretty, they just need "something" to liven things up a bit. As others have suggested, maybe a different sashing in a contrasting or co-ordinating colour(s) to brighten things. Very pretty fabric though. Good luck in your search !!

gardnergal970 05-15-2012 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo (Post 5215772)
I learned from many books, magazines, classes, and talking to award winning quilters that it isn't the fabric design that comes first, it's the contrast of fabrics that comes first then the color way then the fabric design. Get one of the red and green plastic fabric viewing screens and you can instantly see the contrast in the fabric. I was surprised at what I thought was light fabric against med fabric were both the same contrast!

I've never seen this tool but it sounds like a winner. Color value isn't always easy to see but makes all the difference in the final design. Your fabrics might be too similar in value so nothing really gives it the pop that makes you love it. You might also consult a color wheel for sashing suggestions. Sometimes a color that isn't even in the fabric but compliments it on the color wheel works. You've done too much work to quit now. Call it a learning quilt and do something you've never done before.

Jenniky 05-15-2012 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo (Post 5215772)
I learned from many books, magazines, classes, and talking to award winning quilters that it isn't the fabric design that comes first, it's the contrast of fabrics that comes first then the color way then the fabric design. Get one of the red and green plastic fabric viewing screens and you can instantly see the contrast in the fabric. I was surprised at what I thought was light fabric against med fabric were both the same contrast!

Anyone have a name or link for this red and green plastic fabric viewing screen??? I would be very interested in getting one. Thanks :thumbup:

jaciqltznok 05-15-2012 05:23 AM

it needs a dark sashing and it will be fine!

Latrinka 05-15-2012 05:31 AM

I think they're pretty, would be pretty with maybe a shade of green that matches for sashing?

mmb195152 05-15-2012 05:34 AM

I think these are absolutely beautiful! m

wildyard 05-15-2012 05:35 AM

I loveeeeeeeeeee your fabric and your blocks. I don't know if it's my picture or not, but I don't see any of the brown/wine color in the print fabrics so to me it looks out of place. I think I would switch it out for the palest lavender in the larger leaf print. I also agree with irishrose that sashing would lose the patterns AND about trying it with matching the colors in the diamonds to see how that looks.

VMRooks 05-15-2012 06:38 AM

Hi! I am finishing up projects that my mother did not finish before she joined the angels. She made a top using this same block pattern. I added some sashing and a couple of borders before sending it out to be quilted. I was pleastantly surprised when the top was completed. I really liked it more than I had anticipated. Good luck finishing it.
Vickie