Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fabric fading (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fabric-fading-t299322.html)

dkabasketlady 09-04-2018 05:18 AM

Fabric fading

What product can I use to get my fabric to quit fading? I have used seven (7) color catchers to no avail. I have never had this problem before. The fabric is a Kona solid. I should have washed the fabric before using it for my quilt backing. I already have my quilt finished - it's hand quilted - and I really don't want to throw this quilt out after all the time I've put in it.
I usually wash my fabrics before using them but I never thought that I'd have a problem. I'm at my wit's end as to what else can be done.
I'd appreciate all the help I can get. This quilt is for my youngest granddaughter's birthday on Sept. 11th and I really don't have time to make another one for her.

bkay 09-04-2018 06:32 AM

Email Kona for advice.

I think they are having some quality problems. Over the last few months I've gotten three totally different fabrics for Kona black. The texture and color was different in all three. I mailed one off to Kona and they said it wasn't Kona. it was labeled Kona on the bolt, though.

bkay

Tartan 09-04-2018 06:58 AM

Do you mean the fabric is bleeding? If there is still colour coming out of the backing but it is not bleeding into the top, it should be fine to just leave it. If it is bleeding into the top, there isn’t much you can do other then see if the company has some ideas.

thimblebug6000 09-04-2018 07:01 AM

Years back I had a navy run into white logs on my queen size quilt that was also hand quilted.... I soaked it in oxyclean in the bathtub, and must have done that at least 6 times, eventually all but a small smudge of the blue washed out of the white. (yes I know it might affect the life of the fabric, but it was useless before the treatment)

dkabasketlady 09-04-2018 07:38 AM

The color catchers come out the same color as the backing fabric. It has bleed onto a few fabrics(white isn't as bright as before) but hasn't transferred the color onto the front of the quilt. I guess I'll send the quilt on to my granddaughter and give them instructions to wash the quilt separately a few more times. Better to be safe than sorry.
Thanks you fellow quilters for all your help.

Ariannaquilts 09-04-2018 08:38 AM

What color is your fabric? If it isn't morphing to the top Then I would stop washing it so you don't have any other problems.

dkabasketlady 09-04-2018 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Ariannaquilts (Post 8121098)
What color is your fabric? If it isn't morphing to the top Then I would stop washing it so you don't have any other problems.

My fabric is a teal color

tallchick 09-04-2018 10:32 AM

Are you washing in hot or cold water? I always keep Synrotpol and Retayne on hand because these things happen. I feel your pain and frustration!

Prism99 09-04-2018 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by bkay (Post 8121048)
Email Kona for advice.

I think they are having some quality problems. Over the last few months I've gotten three totally different fabrics for Kona black. The texture and color was different in all three. I mailed one off to Kona and they said it wasn't Kona. it was labeled Kona on the bolt, though.

bkay

About Kona fabric. Kona is a trademarked name of Robert Kaufmann Fabrics for a specific type of fabric. Kaufmann Kona is what most quilters are looking for. However, there is a different fabric manufacturer that has the name "Kona Bay". Sometimes buyers see "Kona" on the bolt end and don't realize this indicates the fabric is manufactured by Kona Bay. Fabric manufactured by Kona Bay is not the same as Kaufmann Kona.

bearisgray 09-04-2018 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by dkabasketlady (Post 8121134)
My fabric is a teal color

I've also had problems with teal fabrics bleeding.