Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fabric flaw! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fabric-flaw-t186578.html)

Tartan 04-19-2012 09:13 AM

Fabric flaw!

Don't you hate that! I was doing the final starch and pressing of my quilt back when I noticed a dark thread. I don't know how I missed it before but it is glaring at me now. At first I thought it was a loose thread but no, it's woven right into my cream floral. I bought 2 m. off the sale table and if I'd seen the flaw before cutting my backing to length, I could have avoided it. I am glad I didn't pay full price for it and I will applique something over it but still.....Thanks for letting me vent, I feel much better now.

quiltstringz 04-19-2012 09:28 AM

Sometimes there is a reason things are on the sale table - flaw, older fabric line, just not selling. Before I did anything I would quilt it and see if it show up then - chances are good that you may not notice it, especially after a washing!

Peckish 04-19-2012 09:30 AM

Oh, what a bummer! Too bad the colors weren't reversed, you could have Sharpie-fixed it!

bearisgray 04-19-2012 11:13 AM

I've had that happen too! Even with full priced LQS fabrics!

If I KNOW a fabric is flawed before I buy it, I am willing to deal with it. I do get upset when I'm not aware of the flaw until the fabric is in place.

CarrieC 04-19-2012 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 5154363)
I've had that happen too! Even with full priced LQS fabrics!

If I KNOW a fabric is flawed before I buy it, I am willing to deal with it. I do get upset when I'm not aware of the flaw until the fabric is in place.

WOW me too - I feel just like you do Bearisgray!

Jingle 04-19-2012 01:18 PM

I have bought some with a white streak on colored fabrics. Somehow the dye did not get to the white streak, usually not too big and I can recut the piece I need. Cost of fabric doesn't have anything to do with this happening.

tjradj 04-19-2012 06:00 PM

Is there room for me on this wagon too? I just recently finished a WHITE on WHITE quilt X 2 When I was doing the final inspection I found little grey spots about the size of a pencil eraser. There were 2 on the front of one and one on the other. I tried everything, but could not get them out, so in the end, I made sure some quilty stitching went right over them and hoped for them to hide in the shadows.

earthwalker 04-19-2012 06:06 PM

It is irritating...but happens to all of us at one time. Like many, I'm fine if I spot it prior to working with it...I think you will find it will disappear once it's quilted.

dixie_fried 04-19-2012 06:11 PM

I wish I could say I have no idea how that feels, but, I totally sympathize.
I finished pressing a quilt top that I pieced today. Made with Moda charm pack and Kona cotton. Found a 2 inch weaving flaw in a piece of the Kona. It's all stitched up in the middle of the quilt. I was fit to be tied!
When you pay good money for what you believe to be good fabric, it can really make you angry to find a flaw AFTER you stitched it in.
I just hope that quilting will make it disappear.

GingerK 04-19-2012 06:17 PM

Oh bin there and found that. So annoying and then you wonder why your eyes did not pick up on the flaw or stain or whatever, when you were piecing. I am about ready to insist on openning the fabric to its full width and inspecting it before cutting--especially the $10-$18 a meter stuff!!!