Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fabric getting expensive! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fabric-getting-expensive-t290547.html)

anne2016 08-19-2017 03:47 AM

I agree with some of the other posters. I have never seen fabric in the thrift stores in this area.

NatalieF 08-19-2017 04:27 AM

I can sometimes find yardage in thrift stores, but I also look at bed sheets, pillowcases, curtains, etc... Many curtains and specially valances are made with cotton. You just have to spend a bit of time "unsewing" them. (and valances are misleading because they don't look like they have that much fabric, but it's all doubled. Once you take out the stitching, it's surprising how much fabric is there).

Another place I look are linen stores. They sometimes have discontinued bed sheet sets (100% cotton). I've scored king sized sheet sets for $40. There's a lot of yardage in there! (considering my LQS sells cotton sheeting for $10/meter on sale). I just steer away from really high thread counts. These are really nice when you're looking for say, plain white fabric.

janjanq 08-19-2017 04:54 AM

When I was it was a teenager it was cheaper to see your own clothes rather than buy ready-made. I don't that's the truth today. Today the patterns alone cost more than I used to spend on everything needed to make a dress back then.

Reba'squilts 08-19-2017 05:00 AM

My husband and I go to thrift shops whenever we get a chance. I have found sewing machines, kitchen items and all sorts of things I did not know I needed!!! I have not had much luck with fabric, but I still continue to look. Our 20 year old granddaughter has been shopping at Sal's or Vinnie's for years. She had a knack for picking out tops and jeans that were "in style" for hardly any money! Her parents make an unusually good income, so it was not out of necessity, but the apple of my eye just loves a bargain! Me too!

sprice 08-19-2017 05:47 AM

In my area, Goodwill treats fabric donations as "rags"--just sells them in bulk to a recycler. I occasionally find fabric at smaller thrift stores. Of note: CT sells thread at great prices and it works fine for me. Usually it's just not necessary to have the exact color. Having white, beige, gray, red and black on hand usually covers my needs.

lindaschipper 08-19-2017 07:15 AM

I have given fabric to thrift shops...but have never found any to bring home. Instead I purchase from on line shops such as Missouri Star, fabric.com, sometimes Craftsy, etc. I look for the closeouts or "buy it all" for a cheap price. Only go to Quilt Shops to browse and get idea's. My stash is pretty normal, but always need just one more piece.

shasta5718 08-19-2017 07:17 AM

Yes they are out pricing themselves in the stores, I have gone more to ordering on the internet from places like Marshalls dry goods. Their fabric can be as low as 1.99 on clearance and start at 3.99 reg.

llong0233 08-19-2017 11:06 AM

Today quilting is a 3.76 billion dollar industry. Think about the quilt as a necessity, made from scraps and by hand. Really hard work. Today we have disposable income and are willing to spend thousands of dollars for sewing machines. Not to mention all the other paraphernalia associated with quilting. Prices in LQS are, in my opinion, prohibitive. Sites like $5 Bucks A Yard, etc. keep the cost of fabric in line. As long as there are people willing to spend thousands on "stuff" for quilting, including tens of thousands of dollars for machines, the market thrives, salespeople thrive on commissions and quilts get made.

JoanneS 08-19-2017 01:55 PM

What are your fav on-line stores?

Daylesewblessed 08-19-2017 03:13 PM

This has been such an enjoyable thread! Personally, I like garage and estate sales over thrift stores. This morning I was at a garage sale where all the sewing stuff had been given to this young couple by Mom and Grandma. The sellers knew nothing about the 2 Rocketeers and 3 other sewing machines that they were selling. I picked up about 7 yards of new fabric for $2. Most of the pieces still had the Hancock's stickers on them.

I enjoy being frugal with my quilting hobby. It is a great part of the satisfaction that I get from it.