Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fabric on hand (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fabric-hand-t19925.html)

JoanneS 05-10-2009 06:10 PM

Terri - I gather you still don't know when ---

Cookn 05-11-2009 01:04 AM

There's this great fabric store about a mile from the entrance to Little Creek, called The Fabric Hut about 7000 bolts of fabric. One of our favorite stores in the country.

Skeat 05-11-2009 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by Cookn
There's this great fabric store about a mile from the entrance to Little Creek, called The Fabric Hut about 7000 bolts of fabric. One of our favorite stores in the country.

Yes, I got the 'quilters travel companion' for mother's day and there are several around each other. Norfolk-'Fabric Hut' , Chesapeake -'The Quilting Bee', Virginia Beach- 'What's Your Stitch'n Stuff', Newport News-'Nancy's Calico Patch'......Terri...you are going to be in quilter's Heaven!! There's even more north of there and one out in the water somehow:)Mabye start checking into these places for when their shop hops are happening to when you are coming! You have some serious catching up to do:)Skeat

JoanneS 05-11-2009 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Cookn

Now I KNOW I'm going to visit Terri on the way to my son's new digs! Maybe even before she moves there!

Cookn 05-12-2009 01:47 AM

We are headed to the area, Norfolk, to get our house there ready to put on the market. I told my lovely Lady that there are two places I want to go, one is Fabric Hut and A Different Touch in Chesapeake. They are the dealer we bought our Bernina's from and just wonderful people. I lived in the area for about 8 years and honestly, being a Texas boy, most folks in the area are just downright surly from my point of view. East Coast people are different, glad I'm back in Texas.

jan22 05-12-2009 05:34 AM

I tend to go in difference directions depending on my mood of the day. I use to buy anything I really liked, might put a couple matching pieces with it as well. Then I went through a phase where I would see a picture of a quilt I liked, buy everything for that project. My thoughts were, someday I'll be retired and won't be able to buy everything I want so I'll have plenty of projects to choice from. I've grouped fabrics together in bags along with the pattern or magazine and last count I was up to 12 projects. So, the time has come. I'm officially retiring come the end of June, so my plan now is to tackle those projects as I feel like it. Now I buy only what I need to go with what I'm doing. Off to a shop at lunchtime to get more of a brown for binding on a baby quilt that's almost done. This quilt was not from my planned projects, everything except for the binding is from my scrap bucket.

weezie 05-13-2009 06:55 AM

This is what I do ... most of the time. I choose the fabrics and THEN I choose the quilt pattern to suit the fabrics. This is primarily because of 2 reasons: (1) both the time available and my mood to shop have to be just right, and (2) I buy, almost exclusively, quality fabric at sale prices. In this way, I have no alternative but to build a fabric stash.

While shopping, if both the fabric and the price are right, I cannot afford to pass it up. I then keep some snippets of my fabric stash in an envelope in my purse so, on the occasions that I do get some time to browse and shop for fabric, I have the samples with me to find matching fabric. On the rare occasion that I choose a pattern first and then go shopping for the specific fabrics for that pattern, it's usually difficult to find what I want with all the requirements: color, quality, and price (and I refuse to buy poor quality fabric ever again ... been there, done that!)

I quite enjoy my method of buying fabulous fabric on sale and then choosing what to use it for; in the long run, I believe it saves me money.

wraez 05-13-2009 07:00 AM

My Mother-in-law did that....only bought fabric for the quilt planned. She nearly fainted when she saw my sewing room a couple of years ago and my stash has multiplied since then.

Quite honestly, I'm a fabricoholic...it is ALL about the fabric. Quilts are just an afterthought. (hmmm, did I really say that?) I have a huge collection of patterns for quilts that I couldn't complete in 2 lifetimes.

warm quilt hugs, sue

pittsburgpam 05-13-2009 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by wraez
Quite honestly, I'm a fabricoholic...it is ALL about the fabric. Quilts are just an afterthought. (hmmm, did I really say that?)

LOL! Yes, you DID say that! Sometimes it is all about the fabric. buying a great fabric and then figuring out what to do with it.

cyniree 05-13-2009 07:50 AM

I have been organizing my stash and I have found fabric I forgot I bought for a certain project, but of course have not started or on some not finished. I go to the stores with a project in mind and I buy the fabric for that project, but I always end up seeing more new fabrics I like.