Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fabric Hoarder Confession!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fabric-hoarder-confession-t226744.html)

sewmany 07-30-2013 01:00 PM

I saw a pendant, which i am thinking of purchasing, that said "i have a fabric problem". Just to help me remember.

i have destashed some books, kits and notions to others that are newbies to quilting. That always feels like a productive way of utilizing what i call blessings. But then i later seem to have more blessings returned to me. It is a cycle that goes and comes around.

debbiemarie 07-30-2013 01:09 PM

I have only been quilting for less than a year and I can see how one can collect fabric quickly. I have emails coming in announcing sales, on trips to fabric store I see fabric I have to stop myself from buying. I only buy fabric for the quilt I am working on at that time. Unless it's white or another color I always am in need of.

Emma S 07-30-2013 01:24 PM

Maminstl: If you go to the site of the fabric name brand, they frequently have quilts they have designed using their line.
Postal Mama: I qualify for SABLE. May I join?
Fun thread. Ever notice when we start talking "stash" its one of the most popular threads? Some people talk about their children the way we talk about our "collection".
Just got to thinking, what is a pack of cigarettes going for now? Say $5 a pack. If I was a two pack a day smoker, thats $3,650 a year or $304 dollars a month. Never spent that much for fabric in even my most extravagant month. Feel much better now, still going to stick to my fabric moratorium though.

maminstl 07-30-2013 01:32 PM

Emma, it' the Winters Tale collection, and they actually don't have one - at least not yet! I'll be keeping my eyes open though.

sewhapyana 07-30-2013 01:48 PM

I was force to cut back when I had to put mine in storage. I decided that since I had to store it I had no business buying more fabric. Storage has many other things besides fabric but now I am forced to finish UFO's, if i can get in and find it. My goal now is to go to the storage with two bins one for keeping and one to get rid of. Pray for me.

Just Fabric 07-30-2013 02:02 PM

My son calls me an organized hoarder, because I know where everything is even though I have tons. I still buy it anywhere I can get it. Fabric is so comforting to me, but have started getting a little bit more choosy and I can even go to the fabric store and walk out with nothing sometimes!

ube quilting 07-30-2013 02:09 PM

Oh yeah! I have more fabric than I can ever dream of using. I always look in the ISO to see if I can help anyone with specific requests. I really should put some packages together to sell or donate here on the QB. I really should!
peace

sewNso 07-30-2013 05:17 PM

i'm not a hoarder, but I do have like 4 metal shelving units of material. it is all on QB's so I can see what I have. I also have quit buying. i'm sewing up kits I have bought, or quilts I purchased material for. I will need to get purchase backing because I use unbleached muslin. otherwise only what I need to 'get a project done' is purchased.

lynnsv 07-30-2013 05:23 PM

I thought I was the only one who won't 'cut' a piece of fabric!! Glad to know there's at least 2 of us!

VickiM 07-30-2013 06:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by sahm4605 (Post 6201624)
I found that if I stick to the at least 2 fabrics from my stash then I have not as big of a fabric situation. unless there is a special one for a specific reason. I do have a scrap hording problem. I have a ton of batik scraps of all sizes I have not used yet. need to get rid of them. probably have 5 or so gallon ziploc bags full worth.

I AM DEFINATELY A HOARDER!!! I admit it.:) But the last couple of years have bought very little as compared to what I used to buy. I like shopping from my stash. I make lots of charity quilts. I also make lots of other things as I do craftshows...about 8-10 a year. So I also have fabrics other than quilting cottons. But I have found these last couple years that I get more pleasure working with scraps (for quilts, runners, purses & booth items)...& shop the stash to go along with the scraps. Here's an idea for your batik scraps...I like to make BOM's from different sites out of scraps & then shop the stash for sashing, border, background to pull it all together. Here's a BOM from Persimmon Quilt website a couple years ago done just with my batik/blender scraps & a creamy blender from the stash to pull it all together. Most of my scraps get used alot doing it this way. I just finished quilting & binding this one.