Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fabric marker print bled on label (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fabric-marker-print-bled-label-t205882.html)

papple00 11-13-2012 10:19 AM

Fabric marker print bled on label

I just finished a quilt that I used sharpie fabric markers on the label and when I washed the quilt the letters bled a little. I set the print with my iron as suggested. Any hints on how to stop this from happening? Should I use a different marker? Thanks

Buckeye Rose 11-13-2012 11:10 AM

Did you prewash the fabric used in the label? The chemicals used in the sizing of new fabrics can affect the way adhesives will work, so am guessing they would affect the pens as well.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 11-13-2012 11:16 AM

I have had more luck with Pigma pens than Sharpies. Sharpies and I do not always get along.

Dar-midlife 11-13-2012 11:21 AM

I have been told and usually do use micron pigma pens by sakura. http://www.sakuraofamerica.com/Pen-Archival lots of craft and office stores have them. but Rose is right in saying to have the label fabric washed first and no softner, etc. on it.

ube quilting 11-13-2012 02:14 PM

Never use sharpies on fabric, They will bleed, eventually. Even humid weather will make happen.

Try using the Pigma brand pens. They are made for using on fabric and are archival quality ink. No fading, bleeding or deterioration of fabric from acidic ink. They come in several colors and point sizes and work great. Sorry for your trouble.
peace

Daylesewblessed 11-13-2012 04:12 PM

I have also used Sharpies on fabric with bad results, even though the fabric was pre-washed, no softeners. What kind of results have people had with Marvy fabric markers?

Dayle

Ioftheneedle 11-13-2012 04:38 PM

Thanks for posting this. I was just wondering what kind of pen should be used.

papple00 12-02-2012 04:31 AM

Thanks for all of your info on my question. I have been looking and looking for my post and responses and haven't been able to find them.......until today!!!! DUH.......finally figured it out. One of the things I did wrong was NOT pre-washing the label I was using. This was for a QOV and I had purchased labels from the QOV website. I also think that I will not use the sharpies again. I had some of the pygma pens but thought that the letters just came out too fine, and the fabric moved while trying to write. I did some research online and also found this hint: press freezer on the back of your label before you write on it. This stabilizes the fabric while you are writing. BIG DIFFERENCE!! I also pre-washed the label. It worked very nicely.
Has anyone printed out labels on their ink-jet printer? I have done this also and really like the way they turn out.......I am just wondering how these labels and also the ones printed with pens are going to last. Thirty years from now will you still be able to read them?

nycquilter 12-02-2012 05:40 AM

You can also use gelly roll pens which come in a ton of colors. They are pigma ink. Don't use the sparkly/glitter ones though. I often print labels on my ink-jet after prepping the fabric with bubble jet set. I've thrown the label only into a wash load of colors and washed it in a regular load--no special care taken just to check the permanence. The label came out beautifully.

Laurie

copehome 12-02-2012 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by ube quilting (Post 5654650)
Never use sharpies on fabric, They will bleed, eventually. Even humid weather will make happen.

Try using the Pigma brand pens. They are made for using on fabric and are archival quality ink. No fading, bleeding or deterioration of fabric from acidic ink. They come in several colors and point sizes and work great. Sorry for your trouble.
peace

I put together a quilt top for a co-worker who had each party goer sign a charm square that was NOT pre-washed. Do I need to heat set the squares before washing the quilt for the first time? Or is the ink already permanent?