Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fabric for men's quilts? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fabric-mens-quilts-t42426.html)

ann clare 04-11-2010 02:58 PM

Is it just me or is it hard to get fabric suitable for men's quilts. Most of the fabric here has flowers etc. I make quilts for men from time to time and always have this problem.

Eddie 04-11-2010 03:00 PM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by ann clare
Is it just me or is it hard to get fabric suitable for men's quilts. Most of the fabric here has flowers etc. I make quilts for men from time to time and always have this problem.

It can be. I've made 3 quilts for "me", so I wanted them to be somewhat "Manly". Below are pics of them. I think they're not so much "manly" as they're not "girly", if that makes any sense.

katiebear1 04-11-2010 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Eddie

It can be. I've made 3 quilts for "me", so I wanted them to be somewhat "Manly". Below are pics of them. I think they're not so much "manly" as they're not "girly", if that makes any sense.

Yes, they are all really nice, but more "gender neutral" than "manly" I made a quilt for my best friend's husband (who was dying of cancer) I used flannel that I got from flannelworld.com. They had quite a lot of more "manly" fabrics.

katier825 04-11-2010 04:09 PM

Batiks, marbles, novelty fabrics are suitable. I'm working on one for my son that has cars and motorcycles, along with marbles and tone on tone prints.

MaryStoaks 04-11-2010 04:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)

I have 5 sons and they all like the homespuns.

Honey 04-11-2010 04:50 PM

I have been thinking the same thing. I have a DH, DD and 3DS's and NONE of them like flowers. Also have 5 DGS's. Nope no flowers there either. It is very hard to find just the rite fabric for their quilts. I do make a few with flowers for myself, as gifts or to raffle but I always have my eyes open for more manly or gender nuetral fabrics and when I find something I really like or that fits one of them, I grab it quick.

Pamela Artman 04-11-2010 04:54 PM

I made a quilt for my husband when I found flannel that had tents, campfires, streams, deer, etc. on it. I also made my brother a quilt with deer fabric,so it is out there. I made my younger brother a quilt with plaids in navy, brown and dark red and it was really nice. My girlfriend is always making quilts for guys and she does a lot of sports quilts, especially in their team's colors.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 04-12-2010 09:32 AM

I'm a lucky girl. My hubby has no complaints about fabric choices as long as I make all the couch quilts long enough to cover all of his 6'3". You can generally find him snuggled under a bright polka dotted pinwheel quilt with a smiley face backing!

Carol W 04-12-2010 02:35 PM

I never would guess that those fabrics are hard to find. I've made quilts for men and I do use some fabrics with flowers.

They have been loved and I don't get any complaints.

ann clare 04-12-2010 04:07 PM

Thank you all. You have been a great help. I have got some more ideas. We do not have flannel here in Ireland. Your quilts are beautiful. Thanks again.