Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fabric Moratorium Update - August 2011 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fabric-moratorium-update-august-2011-a-t141467.html)

Sienna's GiGi 07-31-2011 04:03 AM

I'm joining. I spent way too much in July and for the first time since I started quilting I don't feel good about it. I've got to put the brakes on and quick. Im in.

alikat110 07-31-2011 07:00 PM

Okay. I'm in for the next three months. I have little willpower, so wish me luck.

kateyb 08-04-2011 04:00 AM

I have known for months about the class with Harriet Hargrave sponsored by the guild. I have been able to get into the class, so I did need to purchase some of the items on her materials list including a book, a variety of batting, and threads I did not have. I did buy extra needles since I seem to break a lot of them. She does have muslin on the list but I always have several yards of that on hand.
This is a class on FMQ on a regular home sewing machine. I am excited about it.

salmonsweet 08-10-2011 10:46 AM

Haven't posted in a while, but am still in. This moratorium is doing me a world of good. I do think my purchasing habit has become a lot more balanced as a result. It doesn't feel like a diet at all, more like a long-term change that feels really good.

Earlier this week I went on an outing with my quilting guild to our LQS. My first fabric purchases in months: two yards of WOW and three FQ, all needed to finish a WIP and start the next project. Was tempted by a few other fabrics, but stayed good. I have so many beauties already at home that are longing to become quilts.

I also started handspinning this Spring. Oh no, another craft to buy lovely things for... but I've been pretty good on the whole, definitely not overbuying to the extent I was with quilt fabrics last year.

salmonsweet 08-10-2011 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by kateyb
I have known for months about the class with Harriet Hargrave sponsored by the guild. I have been able to get into the class, so I did need to purchase some of the items on her materials list including a book, a variety of batting, and threads I did not have. I did buy extra needles since I seem to break a lot of them. She does have muslin on the list but I always have several yards of that on hand.
This is a class on FMQ on a regular home sewing machine. I am excited about it.

Oh wow. Harriet Hargrave is one of the teachers I'd love to experience. I bet you will have fun!

kateyb 08-12-2011 05:53 PM

Oh my gosh. I have learned so much in the last 2 days. Harriet is a marvelous teacher. She put us on a fabric buying diet for 6 months. We are to finish what we have and practice, practice, practice quilting. Really THINK about what we need to be better at our craft. Some point soon I am going to need batting to finish some of those WIP's/UFO's. I now know why I was having some problems with my quilts and how to solve them. I can now do machine feather wreaths. They aren't perfect but I can do them, with practice they will get better.
One important thing we learned: one batting does not fit all quilts.

alikat110 08-12-2011 09:51 PM

12 days in...no fabric purchases....avoiding fabric shops/ departments, and QB BUY, SELL, TRADE!!!!

quilterella 08-13-2011 02:39 AM

I still have not purchased any fabric for a new project since I joined this "Fabric Moratorium". There have been several times I have been tempted, but, so far have managed to refrain from buying. I am working on a couple of comissioned quilts right now, and have been able to use only stash. However, when I get paid for these, I will be putting that money away until January, and then replenish my stash, as it has been hit rather hard due to this Moratorium.

Sienna's GiGi 08-13-2011 02:47 AM

Its been 13 days and I am taking it one day at a time.

plainpat 08-13-2011 03:36 AM

I'm in "kind of".Have only bought 4... 1/2 yd cuts for a top I started last mo.Thought I had enough fabric, but needed a bit mor. It will be 90% from stash. Also had to buy cutter blades.Other than that, have cut back so much!
Joann coupons no longer tease me into shopping.E mails adv....from on line stores are deleted un opened.
Have donated a lot of fabrics to Linus & don't feel I need to replace it.
Still amazed at just how slowly stash is used.....it never goes down! Stash is here to stay!!