Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fabric Mover/Free motion assistant? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fabric-mover-free-motion-assistant-t48634.html)

ibeesewin 06-06-2010 03:57 PM

Free Motion Assistant 7x9" Quilters Cruise Control Stitch Regulator(Viking Fab U Motion Fabric Mover)

Has anyone out there used the fabric mover? I was thinking of purchasing but don't want to spend the money if it isn't worth it.
I tried searcing for reviews but haven't had much luck. By watching the video it looks like it would be excellent.
TIA for any reviews.
Lynn

Jim's Gem 06-06-2010 03:59 PM

Welcome to the board from Southern California!!!

I have never used one but I think there are several people on here who have!

That quilt in your Avatar is beautiful!!!

Maggie_Sue 06-06-2010 04:14 PM

I have one and like it for making nice even stitches, but have had a difficult time getting used to the size of the field you use.

dkabasketlady 06-06-2010 04:14 PM

Hi and welcome from the sunny state of Florida!! I haven't used it either, but I'm sure someone on this wonderful board will get back to you!!

craftybear 06-06-2010 04:20 PM

Welcome, waving from Indiana, USA

I haven't heard of it either, I'm sure someone will be able to help you

stpatmom 06-06-2010 04:21 PM

I haven't used it, however, I did find a feature on my machine that has helped me immensely. My machine has a start/stop button. I just slow my speed and use the start/stop feature. The machine speed is kept constant and all I have to worry about is what my hands are doing, not my foot!

I know this doesn't answer your question, but I thought that maybe this would help if you have the start/stop.

fabric-holic 06-06-2010 04:43 PM

Yes I have one. I bought it used on ebay a couple years ago. The prices have come way down now so it's much more affordable than what I paid.
The opening is OK. It turns alot of people off. But because of the throat size on my machine I wouldn't be able to use a larger one. I made a poster board "frame" to lay on top of my quilt as I use it to give me a visual of where I am from the edges of the sewing area.
It also helped me learn free motion without it. I never could do it before but for some reason,after using the fabric mover a while, I guess I got the hang of it. So now I free motion without the fabric mover for meandering. But I still use the fabric mover when I want to do a little fancier free motion.
If you buy one, I suggest getting the stitch regulator too. It's wonderful !

Barb_MO 06-06-2010 04:46 PM

I recently bought a fab u motion without stitch regulator from a board member. I haven't tried it yet because you have to have a machine with the part that you remove the do sleeves. You sit you machine on the mover and it have a very narrow opening and none of machine will fit. I have one more machine to try on it.

Frankly, I don't think the are worth $500. or the price I've seen with the stitch regulator.

fabric-holic 06-06-2010 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Barb_MO
Frankly, I don't think the are worth $500. or the price I've seen with the stitch regulator.

I agree. Even at the new lower price they still cost too much for what you get. But so did my fancy sewing machine. My machine is a former TOL. If I bought the current TOL it's around $8000!! I used to buy brand new cars for less than that!!

ibeesewin 06-06-2010 06:12 PM

Thanks so much for all the speedy replies. I am thinking that maybe I should just start adding a few extra pennies and go with a frame. I have also been looking at the Grace frames. Decisions....Decisions....lol
Lynn