Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fabric Panels help (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fabric-panels-help-t211572.html)

meanmom 01-21-2013 05:30 AM

Fabric Panels help

I am going to my Quilt Guild retreat at the end of March. I am taking a fractured quilt class while there. The supply list I received says I need 9 to 16 repeats of the same fabric panel. I have searched online and most panels come with only 1 repeat of a design per yard. I would then need 9 to 16 yard to get what I need. I sure can't afford that! Anyone know of somewhere to get that many repeats of a single panel without breaking the bank? Otherwise I will have to drop the class. Thanks for your help. YOu guys on here always have such good suggestions.

ckcowl 01-21-2013 05:37 AM

you may want to contact the shop that gave you that supply list & ask for clairification- i've made a couple fractured quilts- we used a (printed fabric) not an actual (one picture panal) much like the fabric selections for one block wonders- except they did have a specific repeat of a picture (like- one lady's was butterflies) anyway---before (breaking the bank) call the shop & talk to them about what exactly you need

ckcowl 01-21-2013 05:39 AM

sorry- just noticed it's a (guild activity) so call one of the guild members who are part of this program.

jgriinke 01-21-2013 06:09 AM

It means the repeat of the pattern in the fabric. When you go to your LQS, I'm sue they can explain it better.

alikat110 01-21-2013 07:07 AM

I used a length of fabric with large print motifs ( mine was flowers). I love this tech....you get amazing quts. Have fun!!!

PaperPrincess 01-21-2013 07:32 AM

I would ask about the recommended size of the repeat (panel). If you can get away with a small one, like 12", then you can find a large print to use. If the repeat is 12", and you need 9 to 16 of them, that is 3 to 5.5 yards

QuiltingVagabond 01-21-2013 07:47 AM

Yes, using the term "panel" is confusing in this context - they mean repeats in the pattern of the yardage. As Paper Princess just said, decide on the approximate size you want to work with, then purchase according.

meanmom 01-21-2013 11:32 AM

I'm not finding any panels I like or can afford since there is only usually one repeat in a yard. The retreat is 2 guilds combined and the instructor is in the other guilt. I am trying to get her email since her supply list is pretty brief and unclear. I just looked at Joann for a large print I can fussy cut. They didn't have anything good. I didn't have time to stop at Hancocks. Maybe tomorrow? I have a while to look for something. If I knew it was a technique I liked it wouldn't bother me as much to shell out the money for fabric. There are also quite a few LQS here so I will look. I was hoping someone here knew of somewhere that sold panels. I did find a shop that specializes in them, but it was still a lot of yardage. Thanks everyone for responding.

wanda lou 01-21-2013 11:48 AM

Hey Meanmom what guild do you belong to in Butler County?
I have often thought about joining one.
Goodluck finding those cuts.

meanmom 01-21-2013 03:22 PM

I like the Oxford Guild. It is a little far for me, 22 miles but I don't care. There is also a guild in Middletown but I don't have any info on it other than the name. PM me for more info.