Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fabric price (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fabric-price-t141367.html)

Tartan 07-30-2011 09:40 AM

Well, I went to buy another bug fabric for my bug jar quilt and almost had a heart attack! I had already exhausted all my local Quilt Shops supplies and thought I'd check Fabricland (kind of like Joann fabric?) I found one and I was glad I only needed a quarter meter(10 inches). It was $20.00 a meter. Holy Cow, I am glad I have a good stash. :cry:

loves_2_quilt 07-30-2011 09:43 AM

Fabrics are going WAY up, I'm glad I have a stash too.

valsma 07-30-2011 09:48 AM

Ouch!

ckcowl 07-30-2011 10:51 AM

location seems to really matter---
prices vary so drastically-

last time i visited joannes here i saw that they were charging more than the lqs --- for walmart quality or less fabric...seems someone mentioned to them that the cotton market was on the rise and decided to get a jump on it---or maybe they are just trying to pay for their new stores-
i really felt their fabric was much less than desirable-and over a dollar a yard more than the expensive quilt shop in our area.
i am so glad we still have a couple lqs' that have not gone that route- i can still get wonderful quilting cottons for $7.50 a yard up to $8.98
i think some of those (big chain stores) have raised their prices to ridiculous amounts because they send out all those coupons-
i will continue to keep my lqs in business and avoid the big chains with their shoddy quality, ridiculous prices and horrible customer service

cherrio 07-30-2011 10:55 AM

not much of a stash here and certainly not one that coordinates; buying a lil bit each month for each project is how I'm going to have to do it. I hate that!

damaquilts 07-30-2011 11:35 AM

I am doing my best to use only things from my stash. Its not easy sometimes. I bought the wrong things I guess. lol
The lqs here had $9 and up fabric last time I was in. I am so missing my Hobby Lobby. But I simply cannot afford to buy fabrics at these prices.

QuiltnNan 07-30-2011 01:22 PM

ouch :!: :!:

meemersmom 07-30-2011 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by cherrio
not much of a stash here and certainly not one that coordinates; buying a lil bit each month for each project is how I'm going to have to do it. I hate that!

If you're looking for coordinating fabrics for a project, have you considered Whittles? ( http://whittlesfabrics.com/cgi-bin/Store/store.cgi ) I think their highest price is $6.50 or $7.00 a yard, and you can shop by collection. They even mark down the leftovers to as low as $3 or $3.50 per yard once a line is almost gone. It's not this season's newest lines, but you will recognize the brand names. They just listed the Bittersweet line by Nancy Halvorsen, and I am trying to resist. I have been buying from them for a while and the service is good and shipping fast.

Myself, I can't believe how high the regular LQS prices have risen. And actually exclaimed out loud (shocking!!! a bad word slipped out of my mouth....LOL!) when I saw a bolt of fabric at Joann's for $13.99 a yard!!! Crazy.

sewmary 07-30-2011 01:40 PM

At lqs yesterday - new fabric $11.00 yd. Old fabric still "only" $9.90 a yard.

Rosyhf 07-30-2011 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
location seems to really matter---
prices vary so drastically-

last time i visited joannes here i saw that they were charging more than the lqs --- for walmart quality or less fabric...seems someone mentioned to them that the cotton market was on the rise and decided to get a jump on it---or maybe they are just trying to pay for their new stores-
i really felt their fabric was much less than desirable-and over a dollar a yard more than the expensive quilt shop in our area.
i am so glad we still have a couple lqs' that have not gone that route- i can still get wonderful quilting cottons for $7.50 a yard up to $8.98
i think some of those (big chain stores) have raised their prices to ridiculous amounts because they send out all those coupons-
i will continue to keep my lqs in business and avoid the big chains with their shoddy quality, ridiculous prices and horrible customer service

Amen!!!