Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fabric price woes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fabric-price-woes-t265676.html)

Quilter 65 05-27-2015 11:40 AM

What is that beautiful line of fabric? So pretty. Could see why you were tempted to go "over the top".

justflyingin 05-27-2015 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Notwendy (Post 7208434)
Is the price difference due to economies of scale? Or tax differences? I just can't see why an item (often of Chinese origin despite country of company incorporation) is so much higher outside the US. Maybe I should finance my trips abroad with bundles of fabric. : )

I am trying to figure that out, as well. I'm thinking that maybe the sellers aren't paying the cheapest prices to the wholesalers as the Americans are. ????

Taxes are definitely higher, but not that much!

suern3 05-27-2015 02:54 PM

It really is beautiful fabric.

Sheilz 05-27-2015 03:16 PM

Price difference is due to tax. I used to find it worth my while buying fabric from the states but it became ridiculously expensive since over and above the $40+ dollars for postage, I'd often be done for import duty usually costing in the region of £20-30 which sometimes included a £12 handling fee by Royal Mail. While there was the occasional parcel that arrived with no or minimum fee latterly, esp after the privatisation of RM, it just became silly.

Dolphyngyrl 05-27-2015 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Notwendy (Post 7208434)
Is the price difference due to economies of scale? Or tax differences? I just can't see why an item (often of Chinese origin despite country of company incorporation) is so much higher outside the US. Maybe I should finance my trips abroad with bundles of fabric. : )

I think it has a lot to do with import fees and taxes

Gay 05-27-2015 05:09 PM

I bought 30yds of fabric from thousands of bolts. postage was $55 (for 11-30 yds) - total cost was $250. If I'd bought it here, would have cost me $650. New lines, toile and such can be $32 metre in the LQSs, and discount shops usually charge $10-26 for 'better' fabrics, with sale items down to $5pmt. I don't really know why the cost is so high, but I do know the shop owners put on a hefty mark-up, and probably the middle man does too. If I had done that in the grocery business I'd have gone broke.

AngeliaNR 05-27-2015 06:46 PM

Ouch! (It is beautiful, though.)

Esmerelde 05-27-2015 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by Quilter 65 (Post 7208589)
What is that beautiful line of fabric? So pretty. Could see why you were tempted to go "over the top".

Hiya. It is galeria encantada by p&b textiles. The price I posted was from an Etsy seller in America, not sure what LQS prices will be!

annesthreads 05-27-2015 11:28 PM

We Brits seem to get ripped off on just about everything: compare the cost of electronic and electrical goods with those in the US too. Or US companies such as Lands End, who just double the $ price and then put a £ in front of the number! I've just been to the US on holiday, and have stocked up on FQs for my current quilt, all costing about half what they would have here.
I find I can buy 3 or 4 yards of fabric by mail order without attracting the attention of Customs, but more than that and delivery is likely to be very delayed and include high charges for tax and fees. US mail rates have gone up quite a bit in recent years, and there's no longer the cheaper surface mail (it exists here, but not in the US!) so it's not always worth ordering from there any more - depends on the exchange rate. I have a friend who comes over to the UK once a year, and she often brings me some fabric too.
There's also the issue of supporting UK quilt shops: another reason I buy much of my fabric here. I don't think the high prices are down to them, and I value their presence.

annesthreads 05-27-2015 11:31 PM

..I was talking to the owner of a quilt shop in Colorado about this, and she said she has Australian customers who say it's worth paying the airfare and accommodation costs to come to the States for their fabric. We found that hard to believe, unless they're buying HUGE quantities!