Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fabric Prices Going Up....Again (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fabric-prices-going-up-again-t113357.html)

All Thumbs 04-08-2011 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by JoAnnGC

Originally Posted by glenda5253
I just can't fathom pay $12.50/yd for quilting cotton. It's a good thing I have a large stash.

Do the math...just a small lap quilt, charity quilt or baby quilt would cost over $100 just for fabric. Add on batting, thread and any embellishments...yikes! Unless you are very wealthy or don't care how you spend your money that's just prohibitively expensive. Cotton prices may be going up but fabric manufacturers know how to dangle that carrot with their advertising and clever marketing and they know that there are those who will spend anything just to have the newest collection to add to their stash. Quiltmaking is a wonderful hobby and creative endeavor but we do not have to be victims to greedy price-gouging tactics. It's just like anything else in the economy...supply and demand...if we refuse to pay those prices they will eventually come down.

Well spoken, JoAnnGC.
Thanks for your input.

moggie 04-12-2011 03:24 PM

After reading some of the comments/views of us quilters & probably in particular to this quilter in Australia - who posted the prices etc that we have in OZ (Australia)- then I think I should clarify further.....the best quilting material is imported from the US to OZ....& its the import duty, freight to stores, overheads by the small shops, like its the staff wages, heating/airconditioning, lighting, & all the other that one has whenst they are running a small business. Sure we could probably buy the el-cheapo - but whenst one does make a quilt - then they sure don't want it to shrink - dye bleed etc......yet if we could have cheaper prices of the material from the US - then I can bet you ten to one - that we would buy heaps more.

And thats why this one quilter who does go to the US twice a year to visit relatives & friends - buys up heaps of US quilting material whilst there & for others as well back in OZ. In fact my one check in luggage is always just full of material - that in fact customs, quaratine & security back in OZ always drool over the material I bring back.

So for those that they say they would never pay the prices that quilters in OZ do....well we Aussie's do go without a lot to compensate.....& try very hard to make do.

Just don't want people thinking that Aussie's throw their money away on materials etc okay.

Moggie lone quilter in Australia

writerwomen 04-13-2011 05:40 PM

This is an old tip valuable to everyone. Whether it is new or prewashed fabric or clothing, this dye fast recipe works great for pennies. I'm sure the measurements may vary from one source to another, but this works great. 1 cup Vinegar, 1cup Salt, mild or baby laundry soap to a full wash load tub of water. Recipe designed for up to 10 yards of fabric. May need to retreat if the fabric has a serious bleed. Have used this on everything from quilting fabric to dental scrub uniforms. Noticed that as timepassed my scrubs stayed brihter then those of my coworkers.

writerwomen 04-13-2011 05:40 PM

This is an old tip valuable to everyone. Whether it is new or prewashed fabric or clothing, this dye fast recipe works great for pennies. I'm sure the measurements may vary from one source to another, but this works great. 1 cup Vinegar, 1cup Salt, mild or baby laundry soap to a full wash load tub of water. Recipe designed for up to 10 yards of fabric. May need to retreat if the fabric has a serious bleed. Have used this on everything from quilting fabric to dental scrub uniforms. Noticed that as timepassed my scrubs stayed brihter then those of my coworkers.

writerwomen 04-13-2011 05:41 PM

cabinfever 04-21-2011 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by writerwomen
...this dye fast recipe works great for pennies. 1 cup Vinegar, 1cup Salt, mild or baby laundry soap to a full wash load tub of water. Recipe designed for up to 10 yards of fabric.

I'll give this a try. I bought a couple of bolts of batiks that are crocking (dry dye loss)...didn't know what else to do with it. AND I have about 10 yard bolts. Thanks

ging10ging 04-26-2011 03:06 PM

It's getting so you can't buy anything fun anymore. I want to go to the LQS but feel funny not buying anything when their prices are so high especially when you ask for their help choosing fabric they are so nice and helpful. I guess that's why I haven't started the wedding quilt but then I have so many projects to do maybe I'll just wait until after hurricane season just in case. We already have a system in the Atlantic probably just rain but it's early. Sue