Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fabric pulling to the left? Please help (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fabric-pulling-left-please-help-t310183.html)

ka9sdn 03-18-2020 03:58 AM

With you having this problem on 2 machines what I would do is take some fabric, my machine, and go to the sewing machine store and demo what is happening. See if they have someone who can watch you sew and give advice. Or at least find someone you know who sews and have them watch you sew and give tips. There seems to be a problem with how you are sending the fabric thru the machine. Good luck, keep trying.

nativetexan 03-18-2020 08:11 AM

also, make sure the feed dogs are clean. walking foot too if you are using one. lint can pack up and isn't easy to see. so look hard. good luck.

Barb in Louisiana 03-18-2020 08:30 AM

Using a single hole faceplate will help with your problem. If you use a single hole plate, make sure your beginning stitch is a center stitch. The wider zig zag plate allows more play in both the thread and the stitch. The wider feed dogs on the Brothers make a difference too. Often, my fabric isn't even caught on the right feed dog. I really have to guide my fabric, pushing it slightly to the right to keep it alignment. I found out that what I was doing was taking my eyes off that last half inch going under the needle and it would trail off every time.

If I use a chain stitching method and stitch a couple of stitches between each block, I focus better and my 1/4 inch seams are more consistent and straight. Chain stitching keeps a steady flow of fabric out the back of the machine and let's you focus on the front part where your fabric is being stitched. I do hold the thread out the back when I first start sewing if I don't have an ender, but you should never have to pull fabric out the back unless you are going over really big seams and your machine just won't sew over the seam.

I find starting on a doubled piece of material and then chain stitching onto my good block helps my accuracy. Quiltville's Bonnie Hunter makes a lot of scrappy quilts with her leaders and enders. You can use any size square to be a leader or ender. Most people precut 2.5 or 3.5 inch squares to use, but you can use any size you want. The theory is that you never leave the machine without a square with the needle in it. And as you sew, you will accumulate enough 2 fabric bocks to make another quilt. This does help immensely with accuracy.

This foot is my favorite 1/4 inch foot. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqUHBN0cj1o

pocoellie 03-20-2020 04:24 PM

A friend of mine was having a similar problem, it turns out the feed dog screws were loose, since then, it sews great.

Barb in Louisiana 03-20-2020 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by pocoellie (Post 8370663)
A friend of mine was having a similar problem, it turns out the feed dog screws were loose, since then, it sews great.

I am going to have to check this on my machine. Thanks for the tip.

audsgirl 03-21-2020 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 8369667)
On tip I learned in a class how to have straight seams at the end of a seam is to put your left index finger on the left side of the foot as you reach the end of the seam. Works every time. Classes with excellent quilt makers are so worth the time so take as many as you can. I have learned so many tips and solutions to my sewing problems in classes. If your machine has zig zag function the stitches will always be at a slant. Over 5 mm machine is not easy to get a 1/4 seam without a lot of fussiness.

This is what I do when I'm having trouble maintaining a straight seam line. It's just enough pressure to keep the fabric going in evenly.

Leslie

Sharonquilts 03-22-2020 05:54 AM

I'm so glad this is being discussed. I have a Juki F600 and often have the same problem with my stitching line not being totally straight. I've tried using a Nancy's Notion guide, tape, and tweezers to hold the fabric but still haven't found that sweet spot. And I don't sew fast either. I'll try some of the other ideas you all have suggested.

Sharon

sharonlenore 02-07-2024 08:30 AM

Thanks for the help!

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana (Post 8369974)
Using a single hole faceplate will help with your problem. If you use a single hole plate, make sure your beginning stitch is a center stitch. The wider zig zag plate allows more play in both the thread and the stitch. The wider feed dogs on the Brothers make a difference too. Often, my fabric isn't even caught on the right feed dog. I really have to guide my fabric, pushing it slightly to the right to keep it alignment. I found out that what I was doing was taking my eyes off that last half inch going under the needle and it would trail off every time.

If I use a chain stitching method and stitch a couple of stitches between each block, I focus better and my 1/4 inch seams are more consistent and straight. Chain stitching keeps a steady flow of fabric out the back of the machine and let's you focus on the front part where your fabric is being stitched. I do hold the thread out the back when I first start sewing if I don't have an ender, but you should never have to pull fabric out the back unless you are going over really big seams and your machine just won't sew over the seam.

I find starting on a doubled piece of material and then chain stitching onto my good block helps my accuracy. Quiltville's Bonnie Hunter makes a lot of scrappy quilts with her leaders and enders. You can use any size square to be a leader or ender. Most people precut 2.5 or 3.5 inch squares to use, but you can use any size you want. The theory is that you never leave the machine without a square with the needle in it. And as you sew, you will accumulate enough 2 fabric bocks to make another quilt. This does help immensely with accuracy.

This foot is my favorite 1/4 inch foot. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqUHBN0cj1o

I was having the same issue of the fabric under the back of the presser foot veering off to the left; no problem with keeping the fabric at the front of the foot lined up with my 1/4" seam guide. I have 9mm feed dogs also. I changed to my single hole plate after reading your suggestion to use it rather than the zig zag plate. Made all the difference. No more fabric veering to the left on long seams. Thank you!

Onebyone 02-07-2024 04:02 PM

I had a Pfaff machine that started to pull fabric to the left. The fabric would not stay straight. It needed a repair. I forgot what went wrong but the repair fixed the problem. May have to take the machine to a repair shop.

Lena1952 02-08-2024 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 8369667)
On tip I learned in a class how to have straight seams at the end of a seam is to put your left index finger on the left side of the foot as you reach the end of the seam. Works every time. Classes with excellent quilt makers are so worth the time so take as many as you can. I have learned so many tips and solutions to my sewing problems in classes. If your machine has zig zag function the stitches will always be at a slant. Over 5 mm machine is not easy to get a 1/4 seam without a lot of fussiness.

This is how I end a seam as well. I was never taught this just figured it out on my own. This method also helps when you sew over where seams come together and form a hump. Slow the machine and place your finger next to the left side of the foot and it will prevent the machine from pulling the fabric and having a slimmer seam at the seam join.

You should not sew with your hand in back of your machine unless temporarily assisting the machine to go over a heavy seam. It puts your body in an ackward postion and stress on your back, neck and shoulders.