Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fabric Quality (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fabric-quality-t283107.html)

SWW 10-18-2016 10:41 AM

Fabric Quality

I am in need of a comparison chart of cotton quilting brands. What is it that makes one fabric better quality than another. For example: Moda and Northcott seem to be better than VIP.

zozee 10-18-2016 11:17 AM

Here's an article (not a chart) that explains it. In simplest terms, the thread count makes the biggest difference. But the article explains more thoroughly.

http://quiltbug.com/articles/choosing-fabric.htm

Maureen NJ 10-19-2016 04:34 AM

Very interesting article. Thanks for sharing. Best to feel the fabric to know the difference. Although I am guilty of buying some fabric online, that's why I feel badly that so many LQS are closing.

zennia 10-19-2016 04:51 AM

Thank You for the interesting article.

sewbizgirl 10-19-2016 04:53 AM

My hands always know quality fabric.

Onebyone 10-19-2016 04:55 AM

I buy online and at fabric shops. Both have their place in my life. When I buy online I stick with known fabric brands. I have noticed that many fabrics regardless of brand are raveling more then usual. My last Robert Kaufman is raveling like crazy.

grannie cheechee 10-19-2016 11:51 AM

I thought it was interesting that Cotton Classic was the only brand milled in the USA.
JoAnn's has a fabric called quilters world that is only $5 something a yard and is really better than their more expensive fabric.

bearisgray 10-19-2016 12:12 PM

I think it depends on the "hand/feel" that you prefer.

For example, Kona (solid colors) cottons are considered to be "good" by many people - but it is a comparatively "heavy/coarse" fabric compared to some other lines.

cathyvv 10-19-2016 12:52 PM

Unfortunately, you can't just go by brand or buying at a LQS. I have seen the same fabrics in LQS as at Walmart, same quality. the only difference was price. It has been said that the fabric manufacturers make different grades of the same fabric for chains like Walmart, JoAnns or Hobby Lobby, but my eyes and my hands see no difference.

So picking fabric for a quilt top always comes down to two factors:

1) Do I love the print or do I love it for a particular quilt?
2) What does the fabric feel like? Even higher thread fabrics sometimes feel rough.

Backing fabrics - I prefer flannel and pretty much stick with Connecting Threads flannels, always bought on sale. I use my non flannel cotton fabrics, as well. I already have them, and if they look "perfect" with the quilt and I have enough, I use them. I've also used cotton knits - like flannel, prewashed - and some polycotton sheets and fleece as backing. Kids love fleece backings.

In the end, the best quality fabric you can afford is the best quality fabric for you. Many of us cannot afford to spend $10 - $12+ per yard for fabric, but we all wish we could!

letawellman 10-19-2016 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by cathyvv (Post 7680955)
Unfortunately, you can't just go by brand or buying at a LQS. I have seen the same fabrics in LQS as at Walmart, same quality. the only difference was price. It has been said that the fabric manufacturers make different grades of the same fabric for chains like Walmart, JoAnns or Hobby Lobby, but my eyes and my hands see no difference...

Your comment about manufacturers making different grades of fabric is true. I have seen some fabrics at WalMart (like Disney prints) that feel like crap, but are dirt cheap... then see the same print at my LQS that may cost twice as much, but feel MUCH nicer!! If you look at the SKU# on the ends of the bolt, you will see that they are indeed different.

I have begun to suspect that some of the manufacturers are cutting their quality, since the price of greige goods (raw material that most fabrics start from) has begun to come down from a couple of years ago. They are trying to recoup their bottom line. They don't seem to be noticing that the "quilting boom" seems to be waning somewhat from 5-6 years ago. If they're not careful, they will either price themselves out of business or poor quality themselves out of business.

I think I could probably quilt off of my stash for several years and not buy anything but batting. (Good thing hubby has no clue!!)