Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fabric questions (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fabric-questions-t282919.html)

Jmes4kids 10-10-2016 09:25 AM

Fabric questions

I understand 100% cotton is preferable to most but I'm confused about prices. I've heard to never buy cheap fabric because it's usually junk but what is the price range to look for? Where do you buy it? Is online ok? Ebay? Amazon? B & M?

ckcowl 10-10-2016 10:14 AM

Price really isn't the issue, quality is. Sometimes some really poor quality fabrics can be priced very high. Your best way to ( learn) to choose quality fabrics is to visit fabric shops and Touch, touch , touch! Feel the fabrics, look at the fabrics. Visit quilt shops, Joanne's, Walmart, where ever you can find that carries fabric. Loosely woven, rough texture is a lesser quality than a tighter woven, smooth fabric. Can you see your hand through it when placed under the fabric? Too thin. With time and experience you will be able to decide and shop for good deals. Location is relative too- what costs $8.95 in one area may be $5 in another and $12.95 somewhere else.
Most quilt shops try to carry good quality fabrics. You can join the free monthly on line ( fabshophop) and find up to 100 different quilt shops across the country, a vast selection of styles, fabrics and prices. A couple of my favorite on line places to purchase fabric are : fabric.com; Connecting Threads; Backside Fabrics; and Batiks Plus.

tessagin 10-10-2016 10:20 AM

Ditto what she said. And check you local quilt shop. Some have rewards after frequenting and buying/spending a certain dollar amount you can either get (like the one I frequent) an extra fat quarter or small pack of charms. It can be very helpful to visit the shops. They often have classes and retreats. [QUOTE=ckcowl;7673677]Price really isn't the issue, quality is. Sometimes some really poor quality fabrics can be priced very high. Your best way to ( learn) to choose quality fabrics is to visit fabric shops and Touch, touch , touch! Feel the fabrics, look at the fabrics. Visit quilt shops, Joanne's, Walmart, where ever you can find that carries fabric. Loosely woven, rough texture is a lesser quality than a tighter woven, smooth fabric. Can you see your hand through it when placed under the fabric? Too thin. With time and experience you will be able to decide and shop for good deals. Location is relative too

Bree123 10-10-2016 12:00 PM

If you have access to a JAF where you live, that can be a good place to start. The cheapest fabrics they sell have caused me problems with them wearing out too quickly, but they also sell designer fabrics (typically in cheapy fabrics are along the walls & the designer fabrics are on free-standing shelves in the center of the quilting section) that you can buy when they go on sale or with a coupon. I've seen Free Spirit, Robert Kaufman & other quality cotton fabrics in that section that, when you have a coupon/sale price, are a reasonable price and the same great quality as what's sold in the nice quilt shops. The only thing I sorta dislike about JAF is that a lot of times I get crooked cuts, so now I buy an extra 1/8-1/4 yd of fabric to I can square it up properly.

Beyond that, solids are typically much more economical than prints & actually show off your quilting more. I like Robert Kaufman Kona solids or Moda Bella solids. I will shop around for deals at different online shops including Missouri Star Quilt Company, Fat Quarter Shop, Fabric.com, and Amazon.com. Amazon is my least favorite because it's basically all re-sellers & I've had bad luck with some of them sending me the wrong product multiple times (e.g., I ordered Kona snow & they send me Bella snow and thought they were "close enough" because they were both given the same color name -- after the 3rd time, I gave up & just kept the jelly roll for a future project). Hancock's of Paducah is another option that many penny-conscious quilters like. eBay is a roll of the dice. You might get fantastic fabric; you might get a cheap knock-off. Know what the standard price is on the item; if it sounds way too good to be true, it definitely is. Be sure to ask if the photo shown is of the actual product you're going to receive or a similar item. Check the seller's ratings. Make sure wherever you buy from that you know their return policy. Also, if possible, try to either order a color card or go to a local shop to figure out what the true color of the fabric is because depending on the lighting, photography, file size & your computer screen, it may not reflect the actual color of the fabric. I've had quilting friends who've ordered online thinking they were getting a dark pink or deep red & when it arrived they were pale pink & bright red that had been shrouded in shadows when photographed. The one allowed the buyer to return. The other said he would only allow her to exchange it for the same product (e.g., if the pale pink were defective, she could send it back & get another cut of the same pale pink fabric).

I have no idea what B&M is. Do you know where they're located?

NikkiLu 10-10-2016 01:46 PM

I have no idea what B&M is. Do you know where they're located?[/QUOTE]

B & M - means an actual brick and mortar store that you can go into - not an internet store - HTH (Hope this helps).

Bree123 10-10-2016 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by NikkiLu (Post 7673819)
B & M - means an actual brick and mortar store that you can go into - not an internet store - HTH (Hope this helps).

Haha! Thanks, Nikki. In that case, that's what I generally recommend. I buy the nicest fabric I can afford, knowing that in the long run that's the more affordable option.

toverly 10-10-2016 03:13 PM

Touch is so important when I purchase fabrics. I'm mostly a batiks gal and I will purchase online from dedicated stores like Hancocks or Missouri Star. But usually I stick with mfgs that I know. I have been burned a few times but not often.

Jmes4kids 10-10-2016 03:36 PM

Thanks for the input! I really appreciate it.

jmoore 10-11-2016 02:36 AM

I love to shop and support my LQS and am lucky to have 3 uniquely wonderful shops within a 20 minute radius. Not only do I enjoy touching and seeing the fabric in person, I love the customer service and familiar faces when I am in the shops. Each of them offer great quality fabric and from time to time they will have a sale.

fivepaws 10-11-2016 04:24 AM

I only buy fabric on line and have only been disappointed once. I really dislike going fabric shopping. Or any shopping for that matter.