Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   fabric running (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fabric-running-t243519.html)

timepasser 03-19-2014 11:59 AM

fabric running

I made a queen size quilt. I just washed it, using color catchers, one block ran through to the back side. Is there anyway of salvaging this. It was for a wedding present and we are leaving Tuesday for FL where the wedding is. I am just sick. Came home from the laundromat and just sobbed.

dunster 03-19-2014 12:22 PM

So sorry! If you have not already dried the quilt, wash it again and see if the color comes out. It's less likely to work if the quilt has been dried in the dryer.

Lori S 03-19-2014 12:37 PM

Yes , rewash and use synthropol. Use lots and lots of water and the biggest machine at the laundromat.

Jingle 03-19-2014 12:46 PM

So sorry, what a mess.

timepasser 03-19-2014 12:49 PM

unfortunately it has already gone through the dryer. What is synthropol? I used color catchers, and have always had such good luck with them, but I only used one. Guess I should of used more. The washer I used was for a triple size load. The biggest one at the laundromat

PaperPrincess 03-19-2014 02:27 PM

Did it bleed into the adjacent blocks, or just onto the backing? If it didn't do anything on the front, I think that I would put the label over the bleed on the back, or maybe an applique?
Another comment about the color catcher. I don't know if I'm the only one this has ever happened to, but I am positive that a color catcher deposited dye onto my quilt. I washed it with one, and when I took the quilt out of the washer, the color catcher was stuck to the quilt and when I peeled it off, the quilt had picked up the color right where the cc was laying. since I had not dryed it yet, I washed it a couple more times in cold water and it came out.

tessagin 03-19-2014 02:30 PM

Ditto what she said.

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess (Post 6635089)
Did it bleed into the adjacent blocks, or just onto the backing. If it didn't do anything on the front, I think that I would put the label over the bleed on the back, or maybe an applique?

Sailorwoman 03-19-2014 02:48 PM

I have had good luck just rubbing a little synthropol onto just the area where the color bled. Dampen that area first and be sure to rinse that area thoroughly once you have gotten the color out.

Lovequilting22 03-19-2014 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Lori S (Post 6634917)
Yes , rewash and use synthropol. Use lots and lots of water and the biggest machine at the laundromat.

Although this has not happened to me, I do have a very experienced quilter friend who did exactly what Lori S. suggested and hers came out perfectly. I pray that works for you too! Let us know and enjoy the wedding! :)

timepasser 03-19-2014 04:01 PM

don't think putting an applique would work. It is two lines about 16 in. long each. And yes it is just on the backside. Don't think I ever cried so much in my life as when I pulled it out of the dryer. Just wish I would of seen it before going in dryer