Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fabric Stash/Scraps (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fabric-stash-scraps-t166469.html)

QuiltingCrazie 11-06-2011 03:52 AM

Fabric Stash/Scraps

I finally after years of wanting and waiting have my own sewing room. I started organizing my my stash and scraps and found I have tons of novelty fabrics from doing projects for my monsters and has anyone ever noticed how many fabrics have dogs and cats on them?? Just curious because I found alot of those too. I have some fabric sets I forgot about of course I didn't buy enough yardage on some to do alot with....what was I thinking??? Then I have some that I love that I forgot I had. What does your stash/scraps look like? Are you surprised? Now I get the task to explain why I need more fabric when DH looks around going why can't you use all this, hahaha .......They just don't get it!!!

catladyquilts 11-06-2011 04:05 AM

I spent 3 weeks solid refolding and organizing my fabric, but I still buy there is always another fabric out there you need or "want". like you I found things I had forgotten about and some "what was I thinking" fabrics. the only thing my husband says is "I don't need to be in here do I" as he looks around. I just grin and say no and he turns around and leaves.

Shelbie 11-06-2011 04:11 AM

Husbands never "get" it. I just do what I want to do in my sewing room and don't worry about what DH thinks or says. He's sure all of my sewing stuff is just junk anyway. I keep reminding him about his collection of antique tractors and machinery and parts. As for scraps, I have very few as I often make scrap quilts and cut my scraps and box them ready to stitch if the mood hits me. I have a couple of easy scrap patterns that I often make for Community quilts or quick quilt gifts and I always have pieces cut in advance for these. If I am between projects or thinking out a new quilt, I often grab my scrap box and make some blocks while my quilt ideas jell. If I were you, I'd turn some of those novelty scraps into kid's quilts for donation.

deedum 11-06-2011 04:27 AM

OMG! I have some minkee and beautiful flannel & material for baby quilts and blankets. I have a closet full of material, assorted sizes and colors and patterns. I have fleece, cotton, I have bunch of misc. fabric and yet many many times I realize I don't have want I need or want to go with a current project. It has made me realize that a stash is not always complete, mine is still involving.

Drue 11-06-2011 04:43 AM

I am constantly reorganizing in my sewing room...to make more space for more "treasures"! Too much is NEVER enough! Recently, like you, I have been going thru my scrap boxes and organizing into colors (reds, pinks, oranges in one box, blues greens purples in another, etc) I had gotten a wild idea to roll all my scraps and fat quarters and put rubber bands around them and stand them up in the boxes, but that just makes for a wrinkled mess of the fabric, so now I'm having to refold and straighten them all out. I am able to use a few of them for pillow cases for donations and will probably do a couple of donation lap quilts out of some more of it. I have 4 large clear plastic boxes that are over full, so this is going to make room for more treasures when I finish.
As for the DH...he never has said a thing to me about my sewing room and I say nothing to him about his work shop.LOL
Enjoy your space in your new sewing room.....I call mine my "cave".

Drue 11-06-2011 04:44 AM

I am constantly reorganizing in my sewing room...to make more space for more "treasures"! Too much is NEVER enough! Recently, like you, I have been going thru my scrap boxes and organizing into colors (reds, pinks, oranges in one box, blues greens purples in another, etc) I had gotten a wild idea to roll all my scraps and fat quarters and put rubber bands around them and stand them up in the boxes, but that just makes for a wrinkled mess of the fabric, so now I'm having to refold and straighten them all out. I am able to use a few of them for pillow cases for donations and will probably do a couple of donation lap quilts out of some more of it. I have 4 large clear plastic boxes that are over full, so this is going to make room for more treasures when I finish.
As for the DH...he never has said a thing to me about my sewing room and I say nothing to him about his work shop.LOL
Enjoy your space in your new sewing room.....I call mine my "cave".

luana 11-06-2011 04:50 AM

I love projects that require me to look at every little piece in my stash. It's like going to an art gallery.

gramto4 11-06-2011 05:01 AM

Those novelty fabrics are great for "I Spy" quilts for kids. I started using stash and then found myself buying small amounts of lots fabrics like animals, dinosaurs, vehicles, cartoon characters, robots, etc. I do them between bigger projects and they go together quickly and are good practice for FMQ and the kids don't notice the little mistakes.

runninL8 11-06-2011 05:04 AM

My husband sees all my fabric but rarely comments. He once commented that I didn't really need all that "stuff" and I answered with - he really didn't need all those power tools! Since then - he sort of accepts that I enjoy what I have.

mhansen6 11-06-2011 05:20 AM

I have found some real treasures in my stash. Fabric I had forgotten I bought. Also some "what was I thinking" fabric.