Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fabric storage...plastic bins or folded on the shelf? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fabric-storage-plastic-bins-folded-shelf-t215945.html)

twinkie 03-10-2013 03:44 AM

I am like QuiltnNan but I have folded mine on acid free comic boards. I really like the outcome but it is time consuming. Especially when you have the volume of fabric I do but I love the results.

eparys 03-10-2013 03:52 AM

I use both. 1yd pieces and larger are on a 15" deep set of shelves and FQs and half yd pieces are arranged by color plastic storage tubs stuffed under my cutting table. Although my room has 2 windows the room is an "L" with the windows at the bend. The shelves are out of the light.

DebbE 03-10-2013 04:23 AM

Mine are on open bookshelves that line one long wall - except for the 2 end ones, which has sets of glass doors. I don't have to worry about fading, because of where the window is, plus its pretty shaded from a large maple tree. I also keep a sizeable stash in small and large plastic bins underneath my cutting counter, behind a curtain. As long as you're aware of what direction your light is coming from, and stop direct light on your fabrics, either way works.

schoolteacher 03-10-2013 04:29 AM

Oh my, I must be the only one that uses totes but not folded....just thrown in. Have you ever heard of a chicken scratching? That's what mine look like inside the tubs. :) I have tubs for lights, darks, solids, and scraps. When I need something, I scratch through to see what I can find. Works for me!! :)

romanojg 03-10-2013 07:55 AM

I have mine all folded on shelves. I only have one room with direct sunlight and I keep a curtain over it so it's filtered. The only problem that I just discovered is that the bottom shelf is very dusty, not from the dust but from where my dogs come in to see me or let them out. The rest of the shelves are fine. I thinking about using a clear thru shower curtain or just yardage of fabric to cover it (after washing). I like being able to see what I have so that's why I had to get it out of the bins. I was amazed at what I have. The very minimum is that I'll put plastic over the bottom shelf.

MartiMorga 03-10-2013 08:22 AM

I also have mine folded 6" ruler style on shelves I had my husband put in the closet of the bedroom I took for a sewing room. I do have some "inherited" fabric in plastic bins that I have been meaning to go through and figure out what I want to keep and what I want to donate. I am more concerned about dust than fading. For some reason, lol, I have a dusty house, could it be the lack of dusting or the chocolate lab, well I blame him....

Candace 03-10-2013 08:29 AM

I keep all mine folded in a closed closet or in bins. Light will ruin it eventually. I have many pieces of yardage that will have to be sub-cut due to light fading! I've bought it at quilter sales, yard sales etc. and bring it home to wash and see much of the fabric is ruined do to folding it and putting it where the light hits it. It sure looks pretty all stacked and in the open as I see many people do...however, unless you plan on using it quickly it's not good long term.

isewman 03-10-2013 08:34 AM

I have a book case.--11 1/2 deep--29(30)''wide, and 72" high. When I buy fabric, I fold my material roughly the width of the shelf width(10"-11 1/2". I put it on the shelf like it is on a bolt of fabric. And I still see what Ihave.

Lori S 03-10-2013 08:38 AM

I have kept some fabric in bins... but find that I forget what is in the bins. I am far more likely to use what I have if I can see it. The only exception would be fabrics purchased specifically for backings, those I keep in a bin.

Sewnoma 03-10-2013 08:47 AM

I keep my stash in plastic - we have 2 cats & 3 dogs so there's always a ton of lint and fur in the air and I want my fabric to stay as fur-free as possible! (of course the instant I lay anything out a cat magically appears on top of it, but that's another issue!)

I use plastic Sterilite drawers for my quilting fabric and I LOVE them. I have a few bigger totes for non-quilting fabrics (like all the fabric I bought to make those curtains I'm probably never going to get to, and some vintage fabric I'm scared to "use up") and then I have a small group of 16-qt totes that are "project" totes; each one holds parts of a specific project and are rotated through as I work on stuff.