Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fabric storage on wood shelves .... should I paint them or use shelf paper? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fabric-storage-wood-shelves-should-i-paint-them-use-shelf-paper-t247749.html)

KLO 06-01-2014 04:00 PM

Fabric storage on wood shelves .... should I paint them or use shelf paper?

My new studio is about done and we are putting up shelves made from wood. I obviously don't want to ruin the fabric (and oh do I have way too much fabric = will have to make a lot of scrap quilts!)so I am trying to figure out how to treat the shelves. Do I paint them and is it okay for the fabric to sit on the paint? Do I just seal them with something else (what?) that won't harm fabric? Or do I just put some sort of shelf paper on them and if so, any particular kind? Wondered if anyone else had this problem and might have a solution for it. Thanks if you can help.

Quilt30 06-01-2014 04:24 PM

Paint then use rubber or shelf liner. Paper may have a chemical in it.

Mousie 06-01-2014 06:26 PM

I always cover anything my fabrics will touch with tinfoil.
I learned this from one of my old quilting books...no acid.
Works for me :)

linda faye 06-01-2014 07:28 PM

Tinfoil? Great Idea.

What about the scrapbooking acid free products to line the shelf?

Painiacs 06-01-2014 07:42 PM

I panted mine. :-)

ManiacQuilter2 06-02-2014 04:05 AM

I find that when I paint shelves with semi gloss, some things have a tendency to stick. I am going to use some non paper shelf liner for my bolts of fabric. Interesting suggestion on the tin foil.

Jeanne S 06-02-2014 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by Quilt30 (Post 6740526)
Paint then use rubber or shelf liner. Paper may have a chemical in it.

This was my thought too. Never heard of the tin foil idea before, but sounds logical.

ghostrider 06-02-2014 05:19 AM

Paint or urethane will seal wooden shelves just fine. There is absolutely no need for any additional layer (paper, shelf liner, tin foil, Contact Paper, etc) between the fabric and the wood after sealing it so save your money and time for something else.

KLO 06-02-2014 05:51 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions. Tin foil??? Who knew? I am leaning towards just using paint since some of the shelves are high and I don't want to be messing with liner or foil while on a ladder. Guess I should ask at the paint store what they might have that would be compatible with fabric. They should know, right? We will see ..... Again, thanks for taking the time to comment.

tessagin 06-02-2014 05:57 AM

As long as the paint is completely dry, you should have no problem. I have waited a couple days depending on the humidity in the area.

Originally Posted by KLO (Post 6741207)
Thanks for all the suggestions. Tin foil??? Who knew? I am leaning towards just using paint since some of the shelves are high and I don't want to be messing with liner or foil while on a ladder. Guess I should ask at the paint store what they might have that would be compatible with fabric. They should know, right? We will see ..... Again, thanks for taking the time to comment.