Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fabric-t91483.html)

pamkasperi 01-17-2011 05:40 PM

I don't know if its ok to put this under main or not...

when it comes to buying fabric - I am bad...really bad.....

I buy on whim; I buy something that catches my eye...I rarely ever look to see what kind it is - how much I really need it or how easy it is to sew with. Which is why permission to go to the fabric store from my husband on Sunday was such a big deal.

Well now I am trying to get rid of some of the fabric - barely any of it is usable for quilting so I was going to put it on ebay - but I have no clue what half of it is....

Is there somewhere I can look this stuff up? Or do I just say "I'm an Idiot have no idea what kind of fabric it is but is soft and pretty and I loved it when I bought it!".

cjomomma 01-17-2011 05:54 PM

Sorry I don't have an answer for you. Good luck on finding out what it is. If I could see and touch it then I could probably help you otherwise I just don't know to help you.

PaperPrincess 01-17-2011 06:45 PM

Many people determine fibers using a burn test. Google 'fiber burn test' and you should find some instructions. Be VERY carful, use only a small piece and test over the sink! Unfortunatly, if the fabric is a blend it may be difficult to determine. Lots of stuff is listed on ebay as "unknown fiber".

pamkasperi 01-17-2011 06:56 PM

I ended up listing everything with pictures and the best description I could and tried to get good pictures up close of the grain of the fabric....then I priced it really really cheap!

i have to downsize some - I'm getting rid of embroidery machine designs and stuff I haven't used in forever...my husband asked me if I was moving out tonight when I pulled a box next ot the computer to start listing stuff :)

Granna of 5 01-17-2011 07:52 PM

What type of embroidery stuff do you have? I have a baby lock esante that takes the cards, if you have this type I might be interested.

pamkasperi 01-17-2011 07:54 PM

I have an embroidery professional and an esante ese2

I have a bunch of stuff I just stuck on ebay - I'll pm you

frugalfabrics 01-18-2011 07:39 AM

You might consider listing stuff on this site...great audience of quilters that are interested in finding great bargains. I have had great success in selling of my grandmothers stash here....and there are no site fees assessed other than paypal

pamkasperi 01-18-2011 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by frugalfabrics
You might consider listing stuff on this site...great audience of quilters that are interested in finding great bargains. I have had great success in selling of my grandmothers stash here....and there are no site fees assessed other than paypal

I thought about it - but I didn't know how much interest there would be for material that wasn't quilting capable....

frugalfabrics 01-18-2011 07:50 AM

As long as the item is quilt related, they will let you sell it. I guess you could ask the forum if there are various types of fabrics used in quilts. I know some of the abstract quilts use all types of fabrics

kso 01-18-2011 08:51 AM

I'd like to hear more about the fabric you have for sale. Please pm me or send me the link to your ebay listing.