Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fabric Waste (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fabric-waste-t79187.html)

DJ 11-28-2010 06:59 AM

I end up throwing larger pieces away than I'm really comfortable doing, but I know I'll never use them. Has me wondering if I could put them through the paper shredder to use for stuffing? Also wondering where I could donate them if I just have a separate waste bin for fabric, bag it up and give it away.

SherriB 11-28-2010 07:07 AM

I don't save pieces that are very small. I think 3 inches is the smallest I will save. I will save strips that are at least 1 1/2 inches wide. Small bits and pieces drive me batty.

kylienana 11-28-2010 07:15 AM

I have a drawer in my sewing room that I keep filling up with scraps that turn into string pieced pillows, or table runners. I even used some of the leftover jelly roll strips to add some ruffles to a jean skirt for my granddaughter.
I really like the idea of stuffing pillows with the odd bits though, never thought to save the "dog ears" trimmings before.

cmilton 11-28-2010 08:02 AM

how about pet beds or door draft stoppers?

Colorful Quilter 11-28-2010 08:08 AM

Me Me Me, I will pay postage for Any scrap pkgs. of 100% cotten anyone could PM me if you want to de-stash, would love to help you out. too often I find myself buying new fabric to cut into small bits for my quilt tops

Colorful Quilter 11-28-2010 08:10 AM

I you really want to get rid of your scraps, I would gladly pay postage, I am always in need of scraps, you could PM me

Norene B 11-28-2010 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Colorful Quilter
Me Me Me, I will pay postage for Any scrap pkgs. of 100% cotten anyone could PM me if you want to de-stash, would love to help you out. too often I find myself buying new fabric to cut into small bits for my quilt tops

Is your avatar made from small bits? It is beautiful.

katiebear1 11-28-2010 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Holice
I save the smaller pieces and when I have some time to just do fun stuff, I make string quilt blocks to use in charity quilts. I'm developing a workshop at a local quilt store called The Frugel Quilter. This is a workshop in string quilting. One of the local long arm quilters saves me all the narrow pieces she trims off quilts for this project.

that's what I do too. I will make crumb or string blocks on days when I want to sew, but do not feel like working on current project. When I get enough I will make a quilt or wallhanging.

Annaquilts 11-28-2010 08:54 AM

For myself I keep pieces 1 1/2 inch by 3 inch or squares 2x2inches. If I do not care of the fabric or know some one wants it I give it away. I am trying hard to keep abreast because I need a space that has some organization inorder for me to be creative and enjoy quilting.

Waste seems to depend alot on what size fabric you started with and the pattern you are using. I have way more waste from applique and fuzzy cutting then when I cut strips or squares.

amma 11-28-2010 09:00 AM

You can save them, put them in an envelope and offer them here for the cost of postage :wink:

I save what I am comfortable working with... the rest I will throw or give away.