Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fabric Width (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fabric-width-t296923.html)

Geri B 05-15-2018 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by Nesie (Post 8057924)
Lol Barb I also always buy extra. I wonder if this is the manufacturers way of shrinking what you get and hoping you don't notice as they have done with cereal boxes and ice cream cartons lol!

mfgrs of all things have streamlined--weight of product, size, shape of container-- all to keep the profit margin stable, but we the consumer are paying more for less...

Nanny's dollface 05-15-2018 05:27 AM

When growing up with my GM who was a seamstress and non quilter, I would go fabric shopping with her. Fabric was about 44 inches wide some 42inches and she thought that was just awful. Most recently I bought fabric that was 42 inches with 1 inches salavages on each side! Yikes!!!

klswift 05-15-2018 06:22 AM

Hasn't been 45" for a very long time (with the exception of some home decorating fabric). The same with apparel fabric that hasn't been 60" for years (exception is canvas). But, because patterns list it as 45" or 60", this is the way we refer to it. Every bolt will give the width on the end under the name of the fabric. Reminder, this measurement is from selvage to selvage so you are actually about an inch less because of selvage and any fabric writing. When I help a new customer figure cottons for a quilt, bindings or similar projects, I use 40" for the calculations. This is an easier number to play with and gives a tad of wiggle room.

mhollifiel 05-15-2018 06:48 AM

I cut bindings for charity quilts when I prep the backs. I do these WOF not bias. When I am figuring the fabric strips our binder will need, I use 40" to divide the perimeter measurement just because of this WOF discrepancy. Then I always add an extra strip. When you work as a team, you can not take anything for granted in consideration of others who are also donating their time and talents.

Snooze2978 05-15-2018 08:24 AM

Yes, I've notice not all fabric is created equal. Not even batiks. I tend to layer the fabrics when cutting strips, etc. and that's when I notice some were not as wide as others. I don't wash before I cut but I do starch before I cut which means I also press. Pressing can also shrink the fabric some too.

quilting cat 05-15-2018 11:05 AM

A few years ago all cottons got more expensive. That was when most previously 44" fabrics got changed to 42".

bearisgray 05-15-2018 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by quilting cat (Post 8058620)
A few years ago all cottons got more expensive. That was when most previously 44" fabrics got changed to 42".

Some fabrics were only about 42" inches ago over 20 years ago.

themadpatter 05-15-2018 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Barb2018 (Post 8057915)
I always buy more than I need because sometimes I do stupid things with fabric.

Oh, you and me both, sister, lol.

SillySusan 05-15-2018 06:39 PM

All this math makes my head hurt! When I buy fabric (and I haven't this year so far), I buy a scrap or two, or whatever I can find at the thrift shop. Then it goes into my stash not to be seen for several years.

Aurora 05-16-2018 01:04 AM

I seldom consider width. I am more concerned with yardage and the price per yard. Who would have thought -- I make cutting mistakes and frequently need to purchase more. And sometimes I just like it so much and need to purchase more.