Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fabricland (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fabricland-t305512.html)

Cattitude 06-30-2019 05:05 AM

Fabricland

As a teenager I worked for Fabricland (I think only in Canada for brick and mortar). It was my first job and so I have a soft spot for them. Having said that I purchase 0% of my quilting supplies there.

Their selection of quilt fabric is dismal. They stock very little in the way of newer fabric from the top quilt fabric mfgs. Their pricing policy is to jack up the regular prices sky high so they can have frequent 50% off sales. When I started quilting I purchased a small roll of Warm and Natural batting at 50% off. Imagine my annoyance when a week later I discovered the Sew Sisters site and their regular price was less than I paid. Recently when I was in the city I popped in for fabric for outdoor cushion covers and checked out the quilt cotton. Fabric that is $17m at my LQS is $24m at Fabricland. Solids? $19m compared to $9m for Northcott solids at a LQS nearby. A large national chain should not be pricier than a small independent quilt shop. Even with the loyalty card discount.....which you pay for......they do not compete.

Are all the stores the same? What is your experience with Fabricland?

nannykins8 06-30-2019 05:49 AM

We used to have two Fabriclands in Windsor. The nearest one closed and so now it is across the city and on the x-way to get there. I really only buy flannel there to back my chemo quilts and I only do that when it is on 'sale'. Still way too expensive. And I rarely even look at their cottons, again, way too costly. But I did go in after Christmas and stock up on those fabrics for next year.

thimblebug6000 06-30-2019 05:52 AM

I haven't been into a Fabricland for years, but with quite a few of the quilt shops around me closing, that may have to change.
Here is another recent posting related to Fabricland
https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f...p-t305502.html

Tartan 06-30-2019 05:58 AM

The last time I shopped there I just needed a few more bugs for a bug jar quilt. I just bought 1/2 meter that had several different bugs I could cut so it was about $10. It was acceptable since I had exhausted all the bug fabrics at my LQS. I don’t even bother to go in anymore since my LQS is less expensive.

indycat32 06-30-2019 06:32 AM

JoAnn's Fabrics does that. Their 40% off price of Warm and White batting was more than my local LQS regular price.

IrishNY 06-30-2019 08:07 AM

Your complaints about Fabricland are the same as many have about Joanns in the states. I send lots of time in both places and have always thought they seem to employ the same strategies. I'm not impressed with either.

Shelbie 06-30-2019 09:12 AM

I have to be absolutely desperate to shop at Fabricland and I don’t buy fabric or quilting supplies there as they are extremely overpriced. Who can afford to shop there? I had to use a gift certificate and only bought gray and beige thread for piecing and it was on sale 40% off.

peaceandjoy 06-30-2019 10:09 AM

Sounds just like Joann's here in the USA. So irritating that they jack prices up like that. Gets people in the door with their coupons, but pricing is still higher than other places. I found this out the hard way after years of buying W&N batting with my great coupons. Guess I should have looked elsewhere before, but I assumed (you know what they say!) that with a 40 - 60% off coupon, I was getting a bargain. Nope, not so much.

QuiltE 06-30-2019 12:05 PM

Bang on for your assessment, Cattitude!

It seems their quality has gone down down down .... while their prices have gone up up up.

Totally a customer turn-off!

Watson 06-30-2019 02:12 PM

Well, the way they are closing stores, you may not have to worry about them for long. Another is announced this week closing in Stratford.

I mostly shop there for notions etc when they have their 50% off sales but it is nice to know they are around when I'm stuck for something. They may not be around much longer at this rate.

Watson