Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fabrics that have excess dye in them (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fabrics-have-excess-dye-them-t97894.html)

Scissor Queen 02-15-2011 09:54 AM

The real question isn't whether a fabric bleeds or not, it's whether other fabrics pick that excess dye up. Not all fabrics will pick that dye up and even most of the ones that do it won't be permanent because it's still not set.

bearisgray 02-15-2011 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
The real question isn't whether a fabric bleeds or not, it's whether other fabrics pick that excess dye up. Not all fabrics will pick that dye up and even most of the ones that do it won't be permanent because it's still not set.

So - how do you tell ahead of time which fabrics might be problematical or not?

You make the situation sound a bit like a communicable disease - it's not the carrier that's the problem - it's who might be susceptible to the disease - not everyone gets sick that's exposed to the carrier.

To take this in a different direction -

Why/How do some people seem to stay well when just about everyone else around them seems to be getting sick?

Scissor Queen 02-15-2011 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray

You make the situation sound a bit like a communicable disease - it's not the carrier that's the problem - it's who might be susceptible to the disease - not everyone gets sick that's exposed to the carrier.

Why/How do some people seem to stay well when just about everyone else around them seems to be getting sick?

You've never accidentally washed a pair of your hubby's white shorts with something red? After a few washes they're white again.

The only thing I've ever had pick up loose dye in the wash and stay that way permanently is some rayon embroidery on a pair of pillow cases. The pillow cases themselves didn't pick up the dye. I've been doing laundry for about 38 years now.

bearisgray 02-15-2011 12:55 PM

You've never accidentally washed a pair of your hubby's white shorts with something red? After a few washes they're white again.

The only thing I've ever had pick up loose dye in the wash and stay that way permanently is some rayon embroidery on a pair of pillow cases. The pillow cases themselves didn't pick up the dye. I've been doing laundry for about 38 years now.

The point of this posting was - just because a fabric is considered a "good" brand versus a "not-so-good" brand - is not a guarantee that the fabric is color-fast.

Scissor Queen 02-15-2011 01:45 PM

The point of this posting was - just because a fabric is considered a "good" brand versus a "not-so-good" brand - is not a guarantee that the fabric is color-fast.

And just because a fabric has excess dye does not mean it isn't color fast.

EasyPeezy 02-15-2011 04:50 PM

It's not just red. I've had other colors bleed such as Kona brown and a Kona blue (bright). To be on the safe side prewash everything. :-D

Prism99 02-15-2011 08:57 PM

Pre-testing is an alternative to pre-washing. Cut off a square inch of fabric, toss it into a clear glass of water, and wait to see if dye starts bleeding into the water. Afterwards, rub the wet fabric against a white fabric to see if any dye crocks (transfers). If a swatch passes both of these tests, it's safe to use.

I should add that pre-washing only gets rid of excess dye in a fabric. It will not permanently set dye that was not chemically set properly in the factory. Thus, you can pre-wash and still have a bleeding fabric on your hands. That's why it's a good idea to wash a bleeder fabric in Retayne before using it in a quilt (following up with a test swatch after the Retayne to make sure that it has stopped bleeding; some fabrics require two doses of Retayne).

bearisgray 02-17-2011 09:24 AM

Do (or don't do) what works for you -