Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Which fabrics make the best borders (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fabrics-make-best-borders-t302619.html)

PamelaOry 01-28-2019 12:29 PM

Which fabrics make the best borders

I’m trying to plan a quilt and am wondering of the different types of prints in a line, which makes the best borders? Large print, medium print, small print, polka dots, lines, tone on tone...

trish b 01-28-2019 12:36 PM

I like larger prints for the border. However, the best way is to get the center of the quilt done and then decide weather you want more of the same or perhaps a pieced border. Look at pictures of other finished quilts to see what you like best in different settings. Whatever you decide, have lots of fun in the process.

Christine- 01-28-2019 12:57 PM

I'm a visual person and I need to see prints laying next to my quilt in order to decide if a certain size will work.

Tartan 01-28-2019 01:14 PM

Stripes and plaids can be tricky if they need to match or aren’t printed straight. Obvious big prints need to be matched on both side borders and the top and bottom may not match unless cut on the length of fabric instead of width of fabric. So that leaves tone on tone, small prints, solids....

TheMerkleFamily 01-28-2019 03:33 PM

I agree that once the quilt top center as been assembled it's fun to play with different fabrics for the border. Depending on your desired overall size of the finished quilt and what you wish to showcase on the quilt top will dictate the type of border fabric(s) you'll want to use. I've even decided to go with no border at all.

Most often I'm inclined to do a rather subtle border but I almost always have a fun, high-contrast binding usually a stripe or busy fabric pattern. I love a little zing around the edges :)

I guess it depends what you think would appeal to the recipient of your quilt? Good luck! And be sure to share pictures!!

SusieQOH 01-28-2019 05:13 PM

That's not an easy question for me. It greatly depends on the quilt, colors, design, etc. I usually use borders but they vary according to the quilt. Sorry, not a good answer for you!

Maureen 01-28-2019 05:16 PM

Me too, I loke the lager prints in the borders

QuiltE 01-28-2019 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH (Post 8201575)
That's not an easy question for me. It greatly depends on the quilt, colors, design, etc. I usually use borders but they vary according to the quilt. Sorry, not a good answer for you!

ditto ..... and ....
*border width
*proportion to the rest of the quilt elements
*mood of the quilt (playful/bright/bold vs. shabby chique vs. ??)
*how the assorted fabrics play together
*sometimes how much fabric one has!

To say the least, some quilts look great totally borderless!

ckcowl 01-29-2019 03:52 AM

Yes. All of the above
each quilt has its own ( personality)
which ever fabric you like best is the best choice.

Snooze2978 01-29-2019 06:35 AM

If my quilt body is busy I usually go for a tone on tone fabric. I might add a small striped fabric as a sashing between the large border. Meaning large tone on tone, then small striped sash, then another sash just a little wider than the striped sash of the border fabric. I want the body of the quilt to shine and not the border.