Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   The Farmers Wife Sampler Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/farmers-wife-sampler-quilt-t228673.html)

YukonViv 08-24-2013 02:20 PM

The Farmers Wife Sampler Quilt

Well I did it, I bought the book!!!!! I'm very excited about this.

We did a quick trip to Anchorage, AK this past week (which included 4 quilt shops...wahoo!) and I picked up my own copy of this book and CD...yay. I've read part of it already and am contemplating my scrap bag for ideas.

Part of me is thinking that I should look at a certain style of fabric...romantic? civil war? 30s reproduction? modern?

Another part of me is considering using my scraps only and having a truly eclectic quilt.

Its a big decision as this will be a many year project for me. Something to do between quilts. I figure if I could get out a block or two each month, I will be able to keep going.

I've really enjoyed catching glimpses of blocks people have done on various blogs and here at the board...but I've always hesitated from hitting "buy it now" when I look at the book on amazon. When I saw it sitting on the shelf in Anchorage I didn't hesitate, just made up my mind to do it. So impulsive I know!

BTW, thoroughly enjoyed visiting the various shops, and seeing the quilts that were going to be made in the fall quilting class sessions. There were a few I wish I lived close enough to take!

tessagin 08-24-2013 02:37 PM

Sometimes you have to seize the moment. It's right in front of you. I had been looking for a certain book for a long time and just happen to stop at a fabric store. WEnt to the back Where they keep the books and always a large bin of scraps. There it was. I had been putting it off for too long and it was on sale. It went home with me. I was not disappointed.

feline fanatic 08-24-2013 03:08 PM

I got the book a couple of years ago for a birthday present. Then my friend who had me quilt hers (pictured here: http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...c-t212181.html ) sent me all the pp patterns for the block. I did a trade for a bunch of CW repro fabrics with barnbum and it is on my someday list. I like the idea of tackling a few blocks at a time on it but I currently have so many WIPS and UFOS and other quilts I want to make more it is looking more and more like the FWS will be a retirement quilt (10 years plus in my future)

coopah 08-24-2013 04:31 PM

Have fun with the new book and project. Those Alaska quilt shops are something else. Very enjoyable!! Hope to see pics as you create them.

Jo C 08-24-2013 05:10 PM

I've always thought 30s repros would be perfect for this quilt.

QuiltingNinaSue 08-24-2013 05:45 PM

I was humbled to be a part of the group who did this a few years back led by Honchey (Anne), followed by the Pony Club which we also completed. The FWSQ hangs in my front room on a wall. All 141 blocks of 6 1/2 inches tell a story of my childhood growing up on the farm; the Pony Club continues the story of our shetland ponies and horses, including photos and personal drawings in the quilt. Both will go to our grandson one day.

Our PC group continues under Blocks of the Month because we have forged a strong bond of friendship with one another around the globe. Visit any of us and ask any question you wish. QuiltE has won high honors with hers (Canada), as Mirabelle (Australia) has also.

I learned a lot, enjoyed the time with fellow quilters on QB. Good luck with your quest to complete the quilt. Go with the colors you feel comfortable with...ask lots of questions...and enjoy the journey. What part of Alaska are you in? We spent 13 months there back in 1968 and 1969/

YukonViv 08-24-2013 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltingNinaSue (Post 6253516)
What part of Alaska are you in? We spent 13 months there back in 1968 and 1969/

Hi there! Actually I'm in the Yukon Territory (northern Canada), it's closer to drive to Anchorage then it is to Edmonton (next larger centre) so my daughter and I chose Anchorage. It was a fun mom/daughter trip.

Jo C, I'm really considering the 30s fabrics. when I first started quilting (5 years ago) I truly did not like that style. Too old fashioned I think. It took me a while to hone what I enjoyed working with, trying various styles. A friend I sat at a 4 day retreat with was making her daughter a quilt with 30s fabrics and I think they grew on me LOL.

I am really enjoying reading the letters in the book, I'm trying not to rush through it all, but enjoy a couple of letters at a time. I'm the type of reader that will stay up till 3 in the morning reading if I don't pace myself.

gabeway 08-25-2013 04:44 AM

Hope you have a lot of fun with it!

quiltsRfun 08-25-2013 01:13 PM

This is on my list. Don't have the book (yet) but I was able to find the CD for EQ5 and EQ6 so i can print out the patterns.

peaceandjoy 08-25-2013 01:25 PM

I've had the book and CD for a while; I grew up as a farmer's daughter. I do like the idea of a block or two a month in between other things... Maybe that's the way I should approach it. Planned as an ongoing project to do whilst I finish some of my other UFO's. Am doing better on those, my goal this year was to finsih two for every one started, and at least I've managed that, lol.