Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   This is FAST Quilting!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fast-quilting-t131338.html)

skippitydodahquilts 06-19-2011 09:14 AM

The binding attachment almost looks like a bias tape maker. Fons and Porter makes one (I think) and so does Clover. Janome also makes a 'Binding foot', but can only be used with rounded corners.

Mona Marie 06-19-2011 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by MaggieLou

Originally Posted by mexmmh43
I tried looking up the binding attachment on Fons and Porter and can't find it. What is it called?

see page 5 for link. It's a bias tape presser foot.

I have one of those didn't know how to use it. Now watch me go!! LOL

golfer 06-19-2011 11:47 AM

I wonder how accurate the sewing is. I only hope that I can go about 1/8 th of the speed.

Janice Thompson 06-19-2011 12:43 PM

lOOKS LIKE A CHINESE SWEAT SHOP. NO WONDER YOU CAN BUY A QUILT FOR $39

sew1 06-19-2011 01:00 PM

Wow, that is fast. I don't think I would want to go that fast, then I wouldn't have any UFO's. HeHe!

mburdell 06-19-2011 04:52 PM

I own one. It works fine for putting binding around straight or rounded items of 1-2 layers. It does not work with items with square corners because you have to come back on(fold over) the bias on a corner (at least I haven't figured out how). Also, unless you have a very thin batting it is very hard to use with a quilt as it is difficult to get and keep the quilt between the top and bottom areas where the bias goes and catch top and bottom of the bias with stitches all at once. Works better if you sew the bias on the quilt and then use it to flip the bias and then sew it down as you would just with a regular foot.

I have used it to make the arm holes of pillowcase dresses for Haiti girls.

DonnaB 06-19-2011 08:38 PM

Unbelieveable! So that is what a sweat shop looks like.

Carol C. 06-20-2011 05:00 AM

Hi - thanks for sharing about your experience, because I was considering getting one of these and using it to bind lap robe 'quilts' - which probably wouldn't work based on the way that your described - so you saved me some time and frustration.

A couple of questions:

1) did you find this unit at a local JoAnn's or Michaels? Or did you have to mail order it from someone else?

2) How do you make the pillowcase dresses? That sounds like a neat service project that I would be interested in doing.

Thank you, Carol

jwatmough 06-20-2011 09:10 AM

Those poor women are probably paid very little for back breaking work. They're not called sweat shops for nothing. Sha me on them. I will stick with my own slower humane sewing.

redpurselady 06-20-2011 10:03 AM

When you have industrial machines and all the attachments necessary for the job, along with doing the same thing over and over, you get pretty fast and pretty good.

My mom had a dress manufacturing business in New York when I was a kid, and that is how I learned to sew - on an industrial machine. As an adult, when I started quilting and bought a domestic machine, it was like UGH - this is so slow!! :-) She still has an old Singer industrial machine that weighs a ton in her bedroopm, and I asked her if I could have it when she no longer sews on it. That time is getting pretty close, unfortunately, mom is 91 and rarely sews anymore.