Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   fat quarter frustration (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fat-quarter-frustration-t257800.html)

julie 12-05-2014 02:50 PM

fat quarter frustration

I bought some fat quarters to use for a Turning Twenty quilt for my grandson. I washed them before cutting just like I always do, when I tried to cut them following the directions, I found that many of them had shrunk too much to use. In future, guess I will buy a half yard, and cut the fat quarters myself. I've found some fabric in my stash that co-ordinates with some of the fat quarters, so I can work those in, but it's still annoying.

HouseDragon 12-05-2014 02:57 PM

I also prewash all my fabrics and that's why I'd never made a Turning Twenty quilt.

You could change the measurements a bit to fit your smallest FQ and go from there.

But! Have you seen this quilt "in person"?

I really liked this quilt pattern until I finally saw one "in person" at a quilt show. Maybe it was the fabric choices but I found the quilt to be boring! :shock:

nativetexan 12-05-2014 03:25 PM

yep, years ago I did that with some oriental fabrics that came in a kit. I had to dig up a bit more fabric in order to finish the project.

Jeanne S 12-05-2014 03:57 PM

So sorry that happened. I think this is the major risk with all precuts.

Dolphyngyrl 12-05-2014 06:09 PM

That's why its not recommended to wash precuts because they are already the size you need for the pattern

jeanharville 12-05-2014 06:26 PM

Although you're not supposed to prewash precuts, can you imagine what your quilt would look like if there were different amounts of shrinkage among the pieces? I don't buy precuts anymore because sometimes they're cut wrong and are hard to make consistent sized blocks. I have become very accurate in my cutting. But I certainly understand someone who is pressed for time wanting to skip the tiring and boring job of cutting.

julie 12-05-2014 07:12 PM

I made a Turning Twenty quilt a few years back for my sis, thought it would be a quick work- up for a 6 year old. But with the shrinkage issues it's turned into a bit of a challenge. Not my favorite pattern by far, won't make it again.

Tippysmom 12-06-2014 04:09 AM

Maybe I'm just lucky, but I've made this pattern several times with unwashed FQs and never had a problem. My quilts are always washed before I give them away and it hasn't been a problem.

Geri B 12-07-2014 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by Tippysmom (Post 6996666)
Maybe I'm just lucky, but I've made this pattern several times with unwashed FQs and never had a problem. My quilts are always washed before I give them away and it hasn't been a problem.

No problem because you washed after quilting...that has a tendency to control shrinkage .........jmho

Barb in Louisiana 12-07-2014 05:12 AM

I don't wash before I sew. I have a had a couple of surprises where I got some bleeding, but no one knew but me. I have never had one part of a quilt shrink more than another after the piecing and quilting has been done. It seems to me that the cutting into smaller sections, spreading the pieces around, and then stabilizing them by quilting them, keep the shrinkage more spread out and not visible. Of course, any of you who have read my posts, know I am a lazy quilter. Washing would cause me so much more work. I don't like starching and pressing to begin with and can't image having to do a bunch of fabric at one time. Color Catchers are one of the best things that have ever been invented.