Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fat Quarter Question Please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fat-quarter-question-please-t248597.html)

souffoue 06-17-2014 11:33 AM

Fat Quarter Question Please

Since I am so new to quilting, I'm not sure what a "good" or "fair" price is for fabrics. I'm interested in purchasing some fat quarters ... what is a good price? I see on Keepsake Quilting you can get 6 fat quarters for $15.99. Is that good?

Thanks!!

ManiacQuilter2 06-17-2014 11:42 AM

You will find fat quarters priced a little more than 1/4 of a yard cut. Fabric are selling from $10 to $14 so that would be $2.50 to $3.50. If it is a line of fabric that you would enjoy, then I think the price is OK.

Tartan 06-17-2014 11:43 AM

I can't tell by your profile where you are but where I live $3 a fat quarter is good. A fat quarter is a half yard of fabric cut in half on the fold. So figure out what you are comfortable buying a yard of fabric at and then divide that price by 4.

nyelphaba 06-17-2014 11:45 AM

I think that is about average for a quilt shop. Around here fat quarters go on sale at Joanns, quilt shops and quilt shows-however, if I like it I buy it when I see it. $2.66 is no bargain.

souffoue 06-17-2014 11:49 AM

Thank you! I am in Washington State btw. I will add that to my profile. Thanks again!

charlottequilts 06-17-2014 12:03 PM

I think it matters whom you are buying from. If the FQ are of marginal quality, cut wonky, or minimal size, it's not a bargain at any price. KQ tends to cut generously, and I've never bought anything there that wasn't first quality. They will also take things back if you're not pleased. Also, it may matter why you are buying the FQ. If you're stash-building, it's worth something to have fabrics that someone has gone to the trouble of harmonizing for you. And if you're really into a matched set, there's always the FQ assortments or jelly rolls from a single fabric line.

I think, all in all, it's a great way to learn about fabrics and start a collection. Some of your FQ will have identification on the selvedges that will tell you what fabric it is, and you can use that to order yardage online. Watch for sales, too, as many companies have specials at times. You might also consider other types of collections. My first thirties reproductions were from a huge 10" square collection. It's a great way to have just a bit of a lot of things and to find out which ones really call to you.

Hugs,
Charlotte

souffoue 06-17-2014 12:06 PM

Thanks Charlotte! I was thinking the same thing - that it would be a good way to start out learn, not to mention start a good stash! haha I'm so excited to start my next quilt!!

charlottequilts 06-17-2014 12:20 PM

When I first started collecting, there were only 2 small, somewhat lofty (IMO), quilt shops in our area, and they acted as if they were doing you a favor to let you in. I was leery of ordering online, colorwise, but I found several online shops that would sell 1/4 yard cuts. I ordered quite a bit that way, and if I really liked something, I could always send for bigger pieces or other things from the same line.

Someone here undoubtedly knows if online sellers still do this.

hugs,
Charlotte

SlightlyOffQuilter 06-17-2014 12:26 PM

Fat quarters are fabulously addictive things ! It is sooooo tempting to want to grab one of every thing you like. Be careful doing that though. If your quilts are mostly smaller quilts, or quilts with a scrappy look to them, you will be fine, just we warned that alot of patterns call for yardage over a single FQ !

When I first started building my stash, I went overboard with FQ's because there were soooo many options and I had that " Look how many different fabrics I got for $xx ! " mentality. Sure, I got ALOT of different patterns and prints, but they may not actually GO with each other outside a scrappy !

I find that I tend to purchase fat quarter bundles now more than singles, when I do get them. Otherwise I tend to watch the sales, and if I like something I get at least 2 yards of it !

judy363905 06-17-2014 12:29 PM

The last time I had a Fat Quarter cut from a bolt at the LQS they charged me same price as a 1/4 yard on the bolt yard price. They do this and them out the other fat quarter in their fat quarter area to sell to someone else. Really a good deal for me :)

Judy in Phx, AZ