Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fat Quarters Question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fat-quarters-question-t177892.html)

quiltmau 02-04-2012 12:35 PM

I agree-I love the 'deals' and the quick service

pjones59 02-04-2012 12:39 PM

I love fat quarters. I usually get them from ebay, but occasionally other places if the price is right. Right now I have a bid up for a set of 10 fat quarters at a price of $5, so with shipping (if I win), it would be about $11.50. A while back I got 11 fat quarters for 14.00 and free shipping. I use them for smaller projects, small doll quilts, table runners, etc.

carolynjo 02-04-2012 02:12 PM

Hey, Val in Ind. Your idea of buying an extra yard and cutting it into strips and fat quarters is a neat hint. Thanks for the tip.

krisgray 02-04-2012 03:25 PM

Love, love, love FQs! However, I've purchased only one precut stack (batiks). I often buy a half yard off the bolt and then, if I like, I can cut it into 2 FQs = a little cheaper.

butterflies5518 02-04-2012 05:08 PM

I like my fat qtrs as a newbie it gives me more play room with colors. But planned larger quilts I go for yardage. My last quilt for DGS has enough yardage left over to make one for his dad using leftovers - no out of pocket expense except for the batting (purchased on sale of course).

shrabar 02-04-2012 05:56 PM

I bought 3 packages of fat quarters 12 pieces in a package for $3.99 a package That was a good buy for me working on a quilt now using them

par4theday 02-04-2012 09:08 PM

I don't usually buy fat quarters. I buy when on sale, and usually there is a 1/2 yd minimun. I do, however buy a lot of half yard cuts and make fat quarters out of them, but that is when I need one for guild or a swap. Before I had a stash, I did buy fat quarters for a small project here and there, but now, I don't really need to, since I have a large stash.

babyquiltlady 02-05-2012 05:52 AM

I use fat quarters only when I need to add variety to what I don't have in my stash. If I am trying to fussy cut, they are just a waste of fabric because in many prints, I miss more of the pattern than I cut out. Judge for yourself. The smaller the print and repeat, the more you may be able to use, and the larger the print, the more you will waste.

JenelTX 02-05-2012 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by EllieGirl (Post 4935589)
What is the advantage of using them? How does the cost compare to fabric off the bolt? I just did a couple of baby projects using them and it made it very simple. Has anyone ever bought from Missouri Quilting?

I wouldn't hesitate to buy from Missouri Quilting. I've watched their videos on YouTube, and I think any company that puts that much attention into educating their customers (and doing it so professionally) would have excellent customer service. I haven't bought from them yet, but I will.

Trish88 02-05-2012 06:57 PM

I like fat quarters....I do a lot of applique and its much easier to use a fat quarter for speed and convience.....I also like f/q for storing...and I also use them for my Cricut when I cut fabric....and thats my story and Iam sticking to it lol.....Trish :)