Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Favorite digital books/magazines? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/favorite-digital-books-magazines-t253532.html)

gale 09-12-2014 12:25 AM

Favorite digital books/magazines?

I'm a book and magazine junkie so I have way too many piled up. I decided to get a large tablet and just read them on that. So far I have a few magazines but only ones through the play store so I don't even know what else is out there. Does anyone else buy digital versions and what are your favorites?

So far I have a subscription to Love Patchwork and Quilting, one issue of Mollie Makes, and a few non-quilty magazines.

Sandygirl 09-12-2014 02:57 AM

Zinio is the app for subscriptions to hundreds of magazines.

One of the reasons I bought my Ipad was to go digital but found that I would forget to read my magazines! I should get back to doing it but I find that some magazines are best in " print". Paper subscriptions have gotten really cheap so I buy a few these days.

Sandy

ontheriver 09-12-2014 04:30 AM

Down the kindle app.,its free. Then go to the kindle store for books on Amazon. I read a lot of the free ones and have bought several. My fav quilting downloaded book is The big book of nickel quilts by pat Speth. 40 patterns, I have made three of them, working on numbers 4 and 5 now. It was only about 10.00 when I bought it. Very easy to read, pics are clear and in color.

ManiacQuilter2 09-12-2014 04:34 AM

I subscribed to Quilter's World. They let you have digital access to ALL their magazines back to I think 2006.

Onebyone 09-12-2014 05:41 AM

I seldom buy hard copies of quilt books unless it's an older one. I prefer the E version. No storage required and I can print out the pattern I want, use it and toss it. If the time comes when digital can't be used anymore then I have more to worry about then accessing a quilt pattern.

Jeanne S 09-12-2014 06:40 AM

My favorite magazine is Modern Quilts Unlimited. I like the paper copy but I am pretty sure they have a digital version too.

sewmini 09-12-2014 06:55 AM

My favorite is Mc Calls Quilting magazine. Always with patterns that I would use if I had all the time to do them.

DonnaC 09-12-2014 09:42 AM

Gale, you're a girl after my own heart! I switched to digital over the past couple of years and I've never looked back. :) Check out these two apps: Readly and NextIssue. Both have unlimited plans - download and read countless magazines for $9.99 per month (including back issues). I subscribe to both and have saved myself a boatload of money (because I'm a magazine junkie too).

Readly is based out of the U.K. and has several craft magazines in its monthly plan, including Quilter's World and a British magazine called Craft. If you happen to knit, crochet or cross-stitch, Readly has those magazines too.

NextIssue is a U.S. company and has most of the big-time magazines on its unlimited plan - everything from P.C. World to Vogue to Good Housekeeping and All Recipes and Martha Stewart, and just so many I can't even think of them all. Their $9.99 plan only has monthly mags; if you want the weekly ones (like Sports Illustrated or People), you need the higher-level plan which I believe is $14.99 per month.

I also have a few free-standing subscriptions through Zinio that I pay annually, including Mollie Makes, Inspirations, Australian Homespun, and Stitch. Those are not available on the other platforms.

See, told you I'm a magazine junkie! :)

If you go to either of their websites and click on "Catalog", you can see a complete list of the magazines each one offers. Good luck!!

gale 09-12-2014 01:31 PM

Wow, thanks everyone!! I think that NextIssue app is just what I need. I'll get the others too.

weasier22 09-13-2014 07:50 AM

I have switched to ordering quilting books/magazines to digital issues. Like you, I have too many books & magazines! I've been scanning the ones I have and donating them when done. I have subscriptions to McCall's Quilting and Quick Quilts, and Quilter's World. I also purchase quilting digital books from Martingale's website. They have fabulous books and the digital books are less expensive than the hard copy. I also knit & crochet, so I purchase digital issues as well. I find that it's easier to just print the pattern I want to make and then discard it when done. I still have the pattern in digital format, but it's not taking up space. I save the issues to a portable hard drive and also to a cd disk. That way I have a backup just in case something goes wrong. Hopefully that won't happen, but one never knows.