Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Favorite Pattern for Flannel (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/favorite-pattern-flannel-t312184.html)

SueZQ from MN 08-19-2020 08:24 PM

I recently completed 19 different 24" doll quilts for a charity project using scraps that I had from years of selling flannel bibs. They turn out nice and soft and are surprisingly warm even before batting is added. The ones that I made with disappearing 9 patch turned out really nice as did the alternating 3x5" "bricks" and the bargello with 2" squares. I made a couple with pinwheel blocks but didn't like them as well because some of the flannel I had was a little thinner and the bulky center seams were more pronounced than I like. After fussy cutting nearly 1500 pieces from approximately 3.5" x 5" scraps, I can tell you that I'll probably never make another flannel scrap project again! haha Because flannel frays so easily, be sure that your seams aren't too scant or that the pieces aren't real small. I learned that lesson the hard way.

copycat 08-20-2020 02:20 AM

Do you sew with a 3/8" seam with flannel?

Originally Posted by SueZQ from MN (Post 8411459)
I recently completed 19 different 24" doll quilts for a charity project using scraps that I had from years of selling flannel bibs. They turn out nice and soft and are surprisingly warm even before batting is added. The ones that I made with disappearing 9 patch turned out really nice as did the alternating 3x5" "bricks" and the bargello with 2" squares. I made a couple with pinwheel blocks but didn't like them as well because some of the flannel I had was a little thinner and the bulky center seams were more pronounced than I like. After fussy cutting nearly 1500 pieces from approximately 3.5" x 5" scraps, I can tell you that I'll probably never make another flannel scrap project again! haha Because flannel frays so easily, be sure that your seams aren't too scant or that the pieces aren't real small. I learned that lesson the hard way.

I

Would you suggest sewing with a 3/8" Seam allowance with flannel? or just shorten the stitch length? due to the extra fraying? Thanks!

SueZQ from MN 08-20-2020 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by copycat (Post 8411468)
I

Would you suggest sewing with a 3/8" Seam allowance with flannel? or just shorten the stitch length? due to the extra fraying? Thanks!

This was my first piecing experience with flannel, and frankly, I didn't have a lot of extra fabric to work with so I just shortened the stiches a little. Since flannel is thinner, and a lot of my pieces were lighter colors coordinating with prints the seam allowances tended to be more visible and many of my pieces were 2" or even less and larger seams would make them even more visible. Now, keeping in mind that mine were doll quilts and would get different use than a regular quilt, maybe a larger seam on larger blocks would be better in the long run. Sorry I am not of more help to you.

cathyvv 08-22-2020 07:49 PM

Large block checkerboard quilt is quick and easy. With good contrasting fabrics it can be quite striking.

Rff1010 08-23-2020 01:49 AM

i love flannel for backings. Try for larger pieces to keep the softness - but ALWAYS prewash before piecing. I had some JAF stuff that shrunk 2" in the prewash!