Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Favorite thread for hand piecing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/favorite-thread-hand-piecing-t201326.html)

Swalters12 09-23-2012 12:10 PM

Favorite thread for hand piecing

I'm brand a new quilter and I am hand piecing an Ohio Star lap quilt. I realized that I have bought 2 different kinds of thread from Joann's. the both say on the spool for quilting projects. what are the rules for purchasing thread? Thanks in advance.

Hinterland 09-23-2012 12:23 PM

I think you can use what works best for you. I've used a lot of different threads for hand piecing, including Coats and Clark, hand quilting thread, and 50 weight Aurifil. My least favorite was hand quilting thread - it was harder too pull through. I have some Presencia 3 ply 60 weight that I'm going to try next.

Janet

Swalters12 09-23-2012 12:27 PM

Thank you for the help. I have found the same problem with the hand quilting thread. I was wondering if it was just me.

Pat625 09-23-2012 12:41 PM

I have tried all the expensive brands of hand quilting thread and keep going back to the cheap Americana hanD quilting thread that Joannes sells for 99cents!! It frays less, tangles less and breaks less...I think hard to pull through is just a normal thing when hand quilting..I have found that running my thread thru "thread Heaven" helps greatly. Also I use John James Easy glide needles..the thread, thread treatment and needles can make a big difference in ease of quilting

Swalters12 09-23-2012 12:46 PM

I don't mean to sound stupid, but what is thread heaven?

Pat625 09-23-2012 01:05 PM

Not stupid at all.I learned about it myself here. It is a thread conditioner you run your thread through. I keeps it from fraying and tangling and makes it easier to sew and thread your needle..It comes in a little blue plastic box. Joannes carries it by the needle threaders. It is usually about $3.49, and lasts forever!! I used to use bees wax to condition my thread, but this is 1000 times better.

Krisb 09-23-2012 01:06 PM

Thread heaven is a thread conditioner. It comes in a little blue box. It should be in the notions. It aids greatly in reducing tangling when handsewing. Beeswax also works.

woody 09-23-2012 01:11 PM

I love Mettler Silk Finish (100% Cotton) thread for hand piecing, it doesn't tangle as much as other threads I have tried ( I am lazy and probably have my thread waaaay to long, but the Mettler works for me LOL)

117becca 09-23-2012 01:13 PM

For me, there's a difference in hand piecing andhand quilting. For the piecing, I would use regular thread that goes on to my machine. When I am hand quilting - i only use YLI glazed cotton thread.

MattieMae 09-23-2012 01:21 PM

I only use my sewing machine, but isn't thread labeled "hand quilting" for the actual quilting process, not piecing? Just curious.

Becca just answered my question.