Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Favorite tips (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/favorite-tips-t15694.html)

carolaug 11-13-2010 09:47 AM

Heres a tip...I keep forgetting which end is the top...here is a tip that you may know..I cannot believe I did not think of it earlier....I place a safety pin on the top square...now I know which block not to sew and also how to lay it back down once sewn....so much easier...and no fear of sewing the wrong end.

sewsewquilter 11-05-2011 01:27 PM

Anyone have any tips that has not already been posted?

teddysmom 11-07-2011 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun (Post 265551)
I'll have to try this one. I was just wrestling with the tangled thread problem the other night.

No hints from me but I'm learning lots from reading this thread.

Thanks for the reminder! I struggled with tangled thread yesterday. Will grab a dryer sheet before I start sewing today.

dakota gal 11-07-2011 08:43 AM

I use empty coffee cans I decorate for all the pieces of thread and snippets of fabric, have one by my iron, cutting
table and sewing machine. Small baskets can be used too.

AshleyR 11-18-2011 03:33 AM

Wow, I'm having a hard time describing this. Pretend you're hand-quilting a circle. We all know how much fun that is, especially in a floor frame!!
I don't make a knot but pull 1/2 of the thread at the top of the circle then quilt down one side until it becomes uncomfortable, then start again at the top and quilt down the other side. It's a big time and thread saver. And I hope that makes sense!!!

Sewhappytoquilt 11-18-2011 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by Marcia (Post 264938)
I took an inexpensive "tomato" pincushion and divided it into sections with a marker. In each section I wrote the size of a sewing machine needle. I put used, but not used enough to throw out yet, needles by size in their sections. In the section that is the size I have in my sewing machine I put a flowered flat head pin. So, at a glance I know what size needle I have in my machine. Since I like to use a different size needle for cotton and flannel and machine quilting needles for machine quilting or sewing on binding I need to change my needle fairly often. Using the pin cushion for needles has really helped keep me organized.

What a GREAT idea! Thank you!

Quilt-Till-U-Wilt 11-18-2011 04:10 AM

Use rubber fingers you buy at office store to pull needle through when hand quilting.
Use Q-tips to clean machine.
Store needles in pill bottles.
Use plastic oblong containers that salad comes in to store scraps.

CharlotteO 11-18-2011 04:41 AM

My distributor told us that with newer, especially computer machines, using the air can blow dust and lint into areas where it could cause serious problems. We were told to use natural bristle brushes.

mummadee 11-18-2011 05:07 AM

Linit is another brand of liquid starch and carried by Shop Rite in the laundry aisle.