Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fear of buying fabrics? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fear-buying-fabrics-t48691.html)

athenagwis 06-08-2010 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by lots2do
Rachel-
It sounds to me as if it is a situational thing - that when your financial goals are met, you might be in a different place with fabric buying (or not). Since I organized what stash I have, I have really cut down on buying until I use up what I have. The only problem is, now, I have to buy more to go with what I have in some cases because some of this fabric is all over the board. DH is talking about retirement and downsizing so that is affecting my shopping attitude too. When I was at the Keepsake sale this weekend, I kept thinking "Wouldn't it be nice to buy all the pieces I needed for a project right now?" Then, again, I always did enjoy a good treasure hunt...
Give yourself some space - this doesn't sound like a bad problem and it may change when your lifestyle does.
lots2do

True it may, although I have to say, I would LOVE to give my little money I have to a personal shopper that knows my taste and have them buy for me. Because I have no problem loving fabric that is coordinated for me, or bought for me, or given to me, I just have a tough time picking it myself. I love hitting yard sales and finding a little stash of fabric to buy because there are no choices there. That may be why I love getting scraps from other people too, because they have picked it out. I have no problem diving in the scrap bin at my LQS, I will buy almost everything in there. I really think it's because there are too many choices in a whole store and I really want it all and my small amount of spending money seems to buy so little, so I feel like I must get the absolute perfect thing, which then brings on the fear. I guess I just need to stick to what I am comfortable with, so I will stick with OPS (other people's scraps :) :)), specific projects, and blenders for now. :)

Sorry to get all heavy on you guys!!!! But I am so glad to be able to figure this thing out because it has really been bugging me, but maybe now that I can recognize it and know what I am comfortable with, I can not be so scared. LOL .... goes off to find a yummy scrap bin to dive in

steelecg 06-08-2010 05:21 AM

I agreee

Originally Posted by DebraK
no. You are not crazy. I think you are thoughtful.

Dkm 06-08-2010 07:52 AM

I have been trying to use what I have, but every time I start a new project....well, I can't find anything that I like together. Then again, I've passed something up that I really wanted then get home and have to kick myself.

MIQcamp 06-08-2010 09:40 AM

Always buy a piece if I like it - it may not be there the next time I'm in the shop! So if I don't have a project in mind, it's just fun to look at in my stash.

tryitall 06-08-2010 09:55 AM

Oh Dear!! I have such a LOVE for fabric that I want ALL of it. Sometimes (most) time, I am sure my DH wishes I was more like you. lol

MadQuilter 06-08-2010 09:59 AM

If you don't LOVE the fabric and can't live without it, then I would say stick to your current plan. I have a stash that is almost overpowering and wish I had the discipline to keep it maintained. No - not crazy (well, not about the fabric thing for sure) lol

Evie 06-08-2010 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Katia
I wish I was more like you. I honestly do. I am not a hoarder when it comes to most things, but fabric is my passion. I usually have an intended purpose for what I buy, but buy way more then I need.

I think my problem is that I am a much better planner then I am a doer. (is that a real word?) I am good at buying and organizing the stuff, but sitting down and getting things actually made is harder for me. I am getting better and working at it. But it is a process.

This is me! But once I get started I don't stop until it's done. :lol:

wraez 06-08-2010 10:57 AM

I wouldn't call it a fear but I definitely know that I have an addiction when it comes to buying fabrics. I buy fabric cuz I love it, with no idea what I am going to use it for or when. My stash is large enough and I don't want to spend my money foolishly, as I have done in the past....which is why my stash is what it is.

I am more of a fabric collector than a quilter, altho I always have the best intentions of getting those quilts done.

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA

seamstome 06-08-2010 10:58 AM

Im different, I guess. I dont love fabric....I love the finished product. To me, the finished product has the value, chunks of fabric, no matter how pretty, have little value. I do have a small stash of mostly blenders and left overs. IMHO that's why they make stores so they can pay the carrying cost of the inventory. If you are selling products then I can see buying a stash. But to have enough stash that you never will use it all up is collecting something that has no appreciating value.

I must watch too much Dave Ramsey.

damaquilts 06-08-2010 11:31 AM

I use to buy every fabric I saw that I liked. At least a yard. Then my finances when in the dumpster. So I use something from my stash now and only buy what I need to finish the quilt. Unless of course it something I REALLY love or something that can be used with a lot of different fabrics. My biggest problem is picking fabric. I have just so much money and I don't know what to buy. Sometimes I just walk out with nothing because there are just too many I like and I can't choose. lol