Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fear of the first cut (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fear-first-cut-t35202.html)

Astramorgaine 01-27-2010 04:09 AM

Mario never went out of style ;) I've never seen mario fabric! I'd like to see a picture of that if possible. eta: found this link: http://www.ehow.com/how_2195275_supe...ilt-block.html
I too fear the first cut. I feel wasteful if I mess it up. I'm not brand new, but I'm not seasoned either. I have yet to make a twin, full etc size quilt. So far it's just been blankies. I'm excited to try however, and that excitement should propel me forward, but that nagging fear of failure always pops up in the back of my mind. I just got some new fabric from fabric.com and it's laying out on my ironing board as I type. The panel I got was not what I ordered, so I called customer service and told them about it. I don't have to send back the panel I did get, she said I could use it or donate it, so I'm gonna try and use it. Now I just need fabric to match it :lol: It's an endless cycle!

k3n 01-27-2010 05:02 AM

I have this too but only with certain pieces - they're my 'pets' I just keep them because I love them. Sometimes they get as far as the mat but then 'no, I just CAN'T!' so back they go after a bit of a stroke and out comes something else that hasn't wormed its way into my heart quite as much. Am I REALLY peculiar? :shock: :lol:

Quilt Mom 01-27-2010 05:10 AM

Well, ladies, I understand the problem. I have a piece that harks back to the 1970's (gasp! 100% cotton from the 70's?) And I have yet to cut it.

But on my ironong board are three little pieces from the 2000's that are calling - "come play!"

So save those special ones - eventuallly we may cut into them - but play with the others and enjoy! :thumbup:

BellaBoo 01-27-2010 06:53 AM

I can't wait to cut into a piece of fabric especially my favorite fabric. I want to sew it as soon as possible. I know I'll have a new favorite to cut into after using what I have.

susie0808 01-27-2010 05:48 PM

Me too! I always see fabric that will work for all future projects, but once I'm set on a pattern I need to purchase more fabric. What's on the shelf won't do. I seem to love the fabric and am afraid to cut it up. I love looking at it sit there What's with that ? I am a stacker for sure.

mrs. fitz 01-27-2010 06:17 PM

I can't cut into my many Halloween fabrics, because then I won't have them anymore. Yes I know it doesn't make sense. I also have trouble using a new tote bag because.....it will get dirty. I'm working on overcoming these obstacles LOL.

MadQuilter 01-27-2010 06:41 PM

I bought one of those gotta-have-it fabrics and for years, I would take it out, audition it for this block or that quilt, and finally, the perfect pattern shouted for the fabric. I used it and it turned out great. Now I have two purpely ones playing the same game. (Good news is, I have plenty others who don't care)

dsj 01-28-2010 07:06 AM

I have the same problem, but am thinking I should just buy ugly fabric and then I won't be afraid to cut it up and I won't be so attached to the quilt and be afraid that it will get ruined somehow if someone touches it. I think I am a sick girl.

k3n 01-28-2010 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by dsj
I have the same problem, but am thinking I should just buy ugly fabric and then I won't be afraid to cut it up and I won't be so attached to the quilt and be afraid that it will get ruined somehow if someone touches it. I think I am a sick girl.

Now that is a solution - buying ugly fabric so we're not loathe to cut it! Yup we're weirdos alright! Glad I'm in such great company! :lol:

sylvia77 01-28-2010 09:36 AM

I use to feel that way about my batik fabrics and now I just grab it and cut. Also, I had some border fabric from Jinny Beyer for years before I could cut it but I finally did. Afterwards, I wondered why I waited so long. The first cut is the hardest, then it gets easier.