Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Which feature(s) can't you do without? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/feature-s-cant-you-do-without-t19124.html)

Quiltin'Lady 04-17-2009 12:48 PM

Oh, yeah -- I love my 1/4" foot and walking foot, too! I guess I use them so much, I just overlooked them.....

AtHomeSewing 04-17-2009 01:13 PM

I also have a Bernina 630 that I totally love. It was the best choice I coujld have made for myself.

My Must Have Features & Why:

Needle up/down: Use this all the time.

Lowering the feed dogs: For free motion quilting

Adjustable needle position: Often makes a sewing task easier

Speed control: There are times when I want to sew very slowly.

Mirror Image: So I can flip stitch designs to sew in the opposite direction.

MY FAVORITE FEATURE:
Infinite stitch length and width: For me, the predetermined width setting increments of most other computerized machines are too large, the gaps too big. I like to do invisible machine applique, the total control of infinite stitch and width really makes this possible for me.

Features that could be a must:
IF I was an avid paper piecer, the thread cutters might be a must have.

Good luck with your sewing machine hunt! :)

ButtercreamCakeArtist 04-17-2009 01:18 PM

I have a bunch of machines, but the one that has my favorite thing is the Brother SE-270D. The feature is the automatic thread cutter that works at the push of a button. I also like it's button for reinforcment stitches. It does it on its own.

BellaBoo 04-17-2009 01:22 PM

Auto thread cutter. No more bobbin or top threads to snip. Saves thread.
Needle up/down is useful. Auto needle threader that works the first time every time.

butterflywing 04-17-2009 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by AtHomeSewing
I also have a Bernina 630 that I totally love. It was the best choice I coujld have made for myself.

MY FAVORITE FEATURE:
Infinite stitch length and width: For me, the predetermined width setting increments of most other computerized machines are too large, the gaps too big. I like to do invisible machine applique, the total control of infinite stitch and width really makes this possible for me.

I HAVE THE JANOME AND IT DOES THOSE THINGS. ALSO HAS A WARNING BUZZ WHEN THE BOBBIN IS LOW. DROP-IN BOBBIN

THE VIKING #1+ ALSO HAS THOSE FEATURES BUT WITH A FLASHING LIGHT FOR LOW BOBBIN. FRONT BOBBIN.

Chele 04-17-2009 01:39 PM

Love needle up/down! Very handy! My next machine will have an automatic thread cutter. I think that would be so handy. Especially for paper piecing. How about a machine that warns you that the bobbin is low. Do they make those? And in my perfect world, a machine that also did housework would be really neato! :roll:

Rose Marie 04-17-2009 02:41 PM

I have the H.Viking sapphire 830. I love the 10inch throat and the needle down and the auto foot up when you stop sewing and the stay stitch and etc etc.

AtHomeSewing 04-17-2009 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by butterflywing

Originally Posted by AtHomeSewing

MY FAVORITE FEATURE:

I HAVE THE JANOME AND IT DOES THOSE THINGS. ALSO HAS A WARNING BUZZ WHEN THE BOBBIN IS LOW. DROP-IN BOBBIN

THE VIKING #1+ ALSO HAS THOSE FEATURES BUT WITH A FLASHING LIGHT FOR LOW BOBBIN. FRONT BOBBIN.

I thought we were only discussing those we could not/would not live without?

When I looked at three brands (Viking, Pfaff, Bernina) a few years ago, only the Bernina, did not have predetermined stitch length and width settings. All brands change stitch width and length however the other brands, at that time, had incremental settings such as 1.5, 2.0, 2.5, etc. For some things I like to do, those are too far apart.

mpspeedy 04-17-2009 05:14 PM

I don't think I could live without the knee lift on my Berninas. Having both hands free to move the fabric around is a must. I also love the needle down option.

Moose 04-18-2009 07:20 AM

Thank you for all the replies. I have edited the checklist/spreadsheet I made to take to the show to compare machines with my needs/wants.