Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Feel my pain (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/feel-my-pain-t163088.html)

willferg 10-25-2011 07:18 AM

So I'm working on a French Braid quilt using a bunch of gradated color fat quarters that I got for a steal of a deal at Michaels on clearance (alerted to this by a post on this board :lol: )

I have five colors, with five shades in each. I started with a center square, and after attaching several braids on either end, I realized that I has miscalculated and was on track to make braids over 100 inches instead of just 54 inches.

No worries, I just cut the beginning squares in half, and now I have twice as many braids as I needed but that's okay, right?

So I got all the blues on, the greens, the yellows. It's gorgeous. Then I realized I was running out of time before I had to pick up my son, so I decided to cut the rest of the fabric. I cut all the pinks, then the purples...

And on the NEXT TO THE LAST purple, I lost my concentration and cut one row an inch too small.

ARGHHHH!

I had to just walk away. I've been thinking and thinking, and my only choices are to try to sew small pieces back on (which will look sort of dorky but could work) or go try to buy another purple pack (but it won't be a screaming deal) to use just one fat quarter.

Sigh. I know you all will understand!

Laurie

Peckish 10-25-2011 07:21 AM

Oh no!!!!

I'm wondering how noticeable a seam will actually be after quilting, if you sew the pieces back together.

dkabasketlady 10-25-2011 07:22 AM

Post a pic of the fabric that you're short of & maybe someone has it in their stash & can give you a really good deal. You never know unless you ask. It'd bother me to sew on that small of a piece also.

crafty pat 10-25-2011 07:22 AM

How awful for you. Hope you find a way to salvage it.

Melinda in Tulsa 10-25-2011 07:24 AM

If all you need is one fat quarter, I would just go to the LQS and buy one in the shade you need. At most, I wouldn't think it would cost over $3 tops. A small price to pay for the perfect quilt!

QuiltnNan 10-25-2011 07:26 AM

i'm thinking that piecing it won't show much

Tartan 10-25-2011 07:27 AM

I hate when cutting mistakes happen! Perhaps you can cut a square to correspond to the position of the starting square and add the shorter pieces to it? It would look like you planned it?

orangeroom 10-25-2011 07:28 AM

Oh, that sucks! Too bad about your goof. I did something similar today. Just one strip though. I was cutting 1 1/2" strips for a blue log cabin that I'm going to donate to a silent auction. Silly me, cut one strip 1/2" too short.

Quilter7x 10-25-2011 07:30 AM

If the purple is dark enough, a seam won't show. If you have enough fabric, go ahead and piece it. If it's a lighter purple, you might have to replace that fabric.

dunster 10-25-2011 07:32 AM

I want to see this quilt. It sounds awesome.