Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   feeling guilty about quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/feeling-guilty-about-quilting-t19693.html)

pocoellie 05-03-2009 06:56 PM

I agree with what everyone has said, if quilting makes you happy, please do it whenever you can. Downsizing due to finances is extremely tough. Please take care of yourself and let us know how you're doing.

ProLongarmARTQUILTER 05-03-2009 07:15 PM

Yes Please do get back to your quilting,things change and noone likes most of it I'm so sorry that you Lost your Dear Dog. We lost our 15 yr old in June, still hurts. We have 2 young ones and 2 old ones,we all Love our Puppies for always!!!

littlehud 05-03-2009 07:24 PM

My heart breaks for you. It is hard times we live in. I hope you will find it in your heart to quilt and hope it is healing for you. You are in my prayers.

pal 05-03-2009 07:45 PM

Hi Quiltswithdogs, I have RA too. I know that you're always tired and that depression seems always to be lurking right around the corner.
I also know that stress is the worst thing for you. It's really important that you keep yourself moving. Quilting is a great way to keep your
hands moving.

You really have a lot to contend with at this point in your life, and it's very easy to give in and let life run you over. Don't do it. You're too
important. Please get out your sewing machine - even if you start by sewing straight lines up and down a piece of fabric. Just start.
You'll feel better, I promise.

omak 05-03-2009 08:02 PM

In our family, we have a five minute rule.
When we are feeling any bad emotion, we get to actually just feel it for five minutes - - there are no laws on the book that life has to only have fun and games ... so often, we get into a lot of emotional and mental anguish because we refuse to look at how we feel.
Or, we spend so much time feeling the bad things that we get lost in there.
So, we practice the five minute rule.
The five minute rule states:
You get to feel anything you want, as much as you want for five minutes.
After that, you MUST get up and go do something constructive, something productive, and usually something for someone else.

From time to time, you will feel bad again, just practice the five minute rule, everytime. The key will come to you, but only as you MOVE.
I can't imagine what you are going through, but you are never alone.
We have been through these things before, there are others who have showed us the way ...
you can do this, and I am sure that your husband is glad that you are there to share his day and that you have your quilting to do as an encouragement. Husbands really do take a lot of pride in supporting us in the manner to which we wish to become accustomed.
I wish I could tell you about how I came to be such a purveyor of pleasant thoughts, but I love Pollyanna ... it will be better, and I hope the company is good on the journey!

blahel 05-03-2009 08:03 PM

we all need things in life that make us happy and things to do that help pass the time pleasureably...which is why I do quilting as it too makes me happy to accomplish something as i too can no longer do gardening which i so used to enjoy. it gives you a huge boost to accomplish even the smallest of things..so start small and see how you go from there. I also work less than my husband and feel guilty as he too is in a stressful job with long hours so i do things that i can to make him happy to come home. i cook nice meals and bake cakes and biscuits which he enjoys and generally just look after him when he is home. when i am in pain i do less and when i am able to i do more and i try not to stress about what i dont get done and just try to be happy for everything that i can do.
Try to keep moving when you can by walking and doing gentle exercises because as they say if you dont use it you lose it!

DJ 05-03-2009 08:11 PM

I'm so sorry to read of your problems. I hope you will choose to continue to quilt. It may take some adjustment with smaller space. Take advantage of quilt shops that encourage you to bring in your machine and quilt at their large tables when they don't have classes in session. We have spent several weeks in a 19' travel trailer, and I find that I am able to set up my sewing machine at the table and do the piecing quite nicely. When I need to press or cut, I set the machine on the floor and set up my iron and small cutting/pressing board. I can't do large projects, but that's when the quilt store would come in handy.

Prayers for you and DH during these trying times!

amma 05-03-2009 08:25 PM

This is my 2 cents worth... you need to take care of yourself! Please don't feel guilty over something that gives you pleasure! If you are not feeling up to doing larger projects, you might think about place mats, table runners, smaller wall hangings, pot holders, hot pads, that would make wonderful Christmas presents for this year. :wink: :D :wink: I hope things work out for you and remember, we are you for you in any way that we can! :D

mrs. fitz 05-04-2009 01:40 PM

Exactly what I would say to you was said earlier in this post by Bill's BonBon, almost word for word. So I will just add my wishes for better days ahead and yes, keep quilting. The old saying about power in numbers applies; we're all thinking of you and so many good thoughts will eventually yield good results. (and you did have one funny line in there, that you're starting to sound like a country song; do not lose that sense of humor!)

Chele 05-04-2009 01:48 PM

I love that five minute rule! Why wallow in unhappiness? What good does it do? I'm going to remember that one!

Do what makes you happy and don't ever feel guilty about making yourself happy. Good luck to you with the move. Sometimes change can be fun and exciting.