Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Feeling lighter (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/feeling-lighter-t202097.html)

Janette 10-02-2012 06:16 AM

Feeling lighter

Like most of you I religiously saved my scraps until I had boxes of them. But I realized yesterday, on looking at these boxes, that I rarely use them. I have only made one scrap quilt and decided that I am not a scrap person. I need structure. I need to see patterns flow through the quilt. And I love to shop for fabrics when I decide to make something. So I bundled up all my scraps and am taking them to a group where I live that makes scrap quilts for homeless children. Many of them go to the police department to give to children when the police have to respond to a family situation. All my scraps are gone and I admit to feeling a little anxious but so much lighter in my mood when I open the door to my scrap cabinet and see it's clean.

Deborahlees 10-02-2012 06:25 AM

Good for you, I think that is wonderful......If you close your eyes real tight you will be able to see those quilts and the faces of the children....

Mariposa 10-02-2012 06:27 AM

Good for you.... and them! :)

QuiltnNan 10-02-2012 06:46 AM

thanks for donating them to a very worthy cause. we make these quilts for the police in our senior center.

Stitchnripper 10-02-2012 07:18 AM

Seems like a win-win situation!!

Peckish 10-02-2012 07:22 AM

I think I am with you, and will find a place to donate my scraps! I've kept them in a box because so many other quilters are proud to be thrifty and use them, so I guess I'm guilted into keeping them. But I find that I don't use them at all. I don't know why it never occurred to me to donate them to someone who loves to make scrap quilts....

soccertxi 10-02-2012 04:03 PM

Janette, when I finally give up something, like you passed on your scraps, I realize that I was not saving them for ME. I was saving them for the person I gave them to. Then I can be assured that they are being enjoyed and made into the quilts they were meant to be. (just not at my house! lol) Pat yourself on the back! (and I would ask for pictures from the person who is going to use them...you would get a kick out of seeing some of those little scraps...like old home week!)

PlanoDebbie 10-02-2012 05:45 PM

So glad you said that you donated those scraps! I was afraid you were gonna say that you threw them away. I call myself a "Scrappy" Quilter, so my heart skipped a beat at first.

For anyone else with tons of left over quilt scraps, I hope you will donate them as well. Look for a local Project Linus group or any other church quilting group. They will happily take your scraps and turn them into lovely quilts.

Grandma58 10-02-2012 06:02 PM

I save mine for folks on here then when I get a flat rate box full, I sell them. Some one gets a color variety and I get a small treat for myself. I have also taken to keeping the silly selvedges as well.

sandy l 10-03-2012 03:06 AM

I don't belong to a guild, but a friend of mine does. So when I get a large box of scraps I give them to her and she takes them to a meeting and they get passed on to anyone that wants them. Win/Win for all.