Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   feeling overwhelmed!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/feeling-overwhelmed-t158305.html)

par4theday 10-05-2011 06:22 PM

Whenever I see something that interests me, I make a block to experience it, or experiment with. They are all different color combinations because I want to see what it would look like in those colors. If I teach a class, I show the different stages as visual aid. As a result, I have all these different blocks that do not match. What is overwhelming is that I see each one as a quilt that I will eventually have to make. My question is this: How do you play around with blocks, without feeling like you have yet another quilt to finish? What would you all suggest that I could do with all of them? Does anyone else have this problem?

erstan947 10-05-2011 06:25 PM

If you really don't want a quilt made out of them post them in a give-a-way or sell them on the board. Someone would love to have them and make something with them. You could do a BOTM type quilt and use it for a charity quilt. Just some thoughts:)

hopetoquilt 10-05-2011 06:26 PM

Use some of them on the backs of quilts that you do complete. Make a sampler quilt. Make a few more blocks and create a table runner. Mat and frame some of the blocks.

luckylindy333 10-05-2011 06:27 PM

If you sash them all with a black or neutral sashing, they might make a really incredible memory quilt for you!

DM matted and framed two blocks that are in our hallway. They make really nice artwork.

We want to see them!!! :lol:

JT 10-05-2011 06:27 PM

Maybe you might want to make them in similar colors, or all scrappy. That way they could be made into a quilt in the future.

QuiltE 10-05-2011 06:31 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by JT
Maybe you might want to make them in similar colors, or all scrappy. That way they could be made into a quilt in the future.

Agree they can become what I call a Modern Sampler, by combining all different shapes and sizes. While they don't match now, you might be able to find a fabric or two (or more) that you could use to link them together.

Here's a quilt I made, based on a pattern. This is what I mean by a Modern Sampler, and you really don't need a pattern ... it's just a consolidation!

purplemem 10-05-2011 06:32 PM

We have a woman who collects these at Stashbusters (a yahoo group) and makes them into beautiful quilts, she can combine things we never think of. Then she donates them to Des Moines area charities.

I like the idea also of making them in a colorway that can be used a lot...your favorites, or all fall colors, or all pastels...

I have framed beautiful blocks in glass frames that have no outside edge so the block is the feature.

Tartan 10-05-2011 06:32 PM

Make tablerunners, candle mats, wallhangings etc. Christmas is coming and you'll be ahead on your gifts. If you can't bear to part with them, put them in a nice Pizza box and add them to your UFO shelf. Write the date on the box and if you haven't done anything with them in a year, think about putting them up on QB for someone else to finish.

MsEithne 10-05-2011 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by par4theday
Whenever I see something that interests me, I make a block to experience it, or experiment with. They are all different color combinations because I want to see what it would look like in those colors. If I teach a class, I show the different stages as visual aid. As a result, I have all these different blocks that do not match. What is overwhelming is that I see each one as a quilt that I will eventually have to make. My question is this: How do you play around with blocks, without feeling like you have yet another quilt to finish? What would you all suggest that I could do with all of them? Does anyone else have this problem?

Wow, I would LOVE to have this problem!

What a great resource you have! Don't put them into quilts, keep them as samples. Maybe attach a note to the back of each block with info about what you'd repeat from that block and what you'd change. If you want to, protect your samples by binding them with a neutral binding (or overcast the edges with a neutral shade of thread).

Put them into a container with a lid on it, so you can get at them easily, pull them out, look at them, try different colour schemes against each other, etc.

A handweaver's sample book becomes one of their most useful resources. You have the foundation for the same thing, necessarily larger because block samples have to be larger than most weavijng samples.

By keeping samples, you have a table top sized reference, much easier to play with than whole quilts would be.

par4theday 10-05-2011 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE

Originally Posted by JT

Agree they can become what I call a Modern Sampler, by combining all different shapes and sizes. While they don't match now, you might be able to find a fabric or two (or more) that you could use to link them together.

Here's a quilt I made, based on a pattern. This is what I mean by a Modern Sampler, and you really don't need a pattern ... it's just a consolidation!

That is a beautiful quilt!! I knew someone would help me out, this is a great idea. TY