Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Feeling Quite Thrifty Today! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/feeling-quite-thrifty-today-t70103.html)

lillybeck 10-16-2010 09:08 AM

I keep the left overs for this all the time

MaryAnna 10-16-2010 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by watterstide

Originally Posted by Tinabodina
I have never heard of that before, so what do you do after you cut them. Do you sew them together or what?
Thanks,

i just trim them to be straight edged. then when i need a small batting piece, like for a baby quilt or whatever, i sew them together.
i use a SITD (stitch in the ditch,has the bar in the middle) foot, and use a zig zag stitch. i only do this with warm and natural batting. i do not overlap them. just butt them up against each other..works for me.

Ditto here...I do the exact same thing!
Blessings,
MaryAnna

wraez 10-16-2010 01:47 PM

yup that is a great idea. I save my smaller pieces of batting to stitch together to make larger, even just to use for table runners or place mats.

I hate throwing anything away.

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA

the real misfit 10-16-2010 04:50 PM

yes this is a good idea i started a scrap quilt and am using my scrap material , ribbons, and batting to make it grandma always told me waste not always make sure you use everything

Pastor_Ruth 10-16-2010 05:59 PM

Hey recycle, reclamation and using scraps to make masterpieces... it is all good!

IBQUILTIN 10-16-2010 07:23 PM

I save it for table runners, and toppers, or pot holders or trivets, or whatever needs the smaller pieces. It works, and I always feel so thrifty

jitkaau 10-16-2010 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by KarenS
I just started cutting fabric squares for a rag quilt, and found in a box some smaller pieces of batting left over from several quilts. I don't know why I saved these odd-shaped pieces of batting, but must have thought I would find a use for them someday. I was able to cut the 90 squares of batting that I needed for this quilt from basically leftover batting! Thought I would pass on the idea to my fellow quilters.

Another thing that I do, to the amusement of others, is that I use a faggoting stitch on my machine to butt the bits together. I have often enough for another full quilt. Friends are even giving me their scraps to add to my pile - which makes it very thrifty for me.

hevemi 10-16-2010 10:03 PM

I save even the narrow strips and use them inside tote bag straps and such. The nearest fabric store is rather far away so I save EVERYTHING over an inch! I want to try quilt-as-you-go log cabins as soon as I find the instructions, I know I have it Somewhere - the place I seem to keep most of my stuff in. Have a nice day!

pawebdoctor 10-17-2010 11:56 AM

Great idea! I save everything... now I have an additional purpose for my box of left over batting... Thanks!!!!!

annette1952 10-17-2010 08:13 PM

Fantastic! I keep leftover pieces also. They come in handy