Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Feeling really stupid (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/feeling-really-stupid-t281886.html)

ontheriver 09-02-2016 07:23 AM

Feeling really stupid

A few days back I asked if anyone could tell me why I was getting skipped stitches. Well after that I made some recommended adjustments, started quilting again and my needle wasn't picking up the bobbin thread so now no stitches. My guy took the machine off the frame, cleaned again, oiled, tried to find out the problem. We spent hours on this. Rethreaded, new needle, new bobbin, watching the bobbin move to see if the problem was noticeable, etc. Finally realized I had been threading the needle in the wrong direction. Thread it right and it Works fine now. Talk about feeling really stupid. Duh. Now I'm wishing needle thread direction is standard on all machines. I think my problem is that the machine I piece on goes the opposite way and I get so used to it. I took a marker and drew an arrow pointing to the way it should go on the machine, hopefully done with that mistake.

Wonnie 09-02-2016 07:28 AM

Those with multiple machines they use frequently have no doubt "felt stupid" a time or two, also. I have only two which thread differently and I know I've felt stupid a time or two!

Peckish 09-02-2016 08:35 AM

Don't feel stupid, we have an entire club of people who have done this! You're the newest member, your pin and jacket are in the mail! Welcome! :D

tessagin 09-02-2016 08:44 AM

I hate the word "stupid" You are not "stupid". I just check my manuals to remind myself how to thread my machines all "2" of them.

Cari-in-Oly 09-02-2016 08:54 AM

Nope, you're not stupid, been there done that. An easy way to remember is that a needle always threads towards the flat side of the shank. So if you know which way the flat side goes into the machine you always know which direction to thread it.

Cari

MadQuilter 09-02-2016 10:24 AM

It happens. Have a good chuckle, slap yourself on the forehead (not too hard), and move on. I think most of us had those DUH moments.

Tom W 09-02-2016 10:28 AM

LOL.. not stupid at all. I've got machines that thread left to right, right to left and front to back and I often have to drop the needle a bit to check which side is flat so I thread them right. Usually, I check after I've done it wrong at least twice and rethreaded a few times. And I've even got a few machines that use industrial needles with no flat side at all... and I can't tell you how many times I put those in wrong.

Jeanne S 09-02-2016 10:50 AM

So glad you figured it out, and thanks for sharing as this is likely a common mistake many of us make!!

bearisgray 09-02-2016 11:51 AM

Glad you figured out what the problem was! Your guy did not catch the problem either.

I do know that "duh!" feeling, though. (Don't much care for it!)

Deb watkins 09-02-2016 12:03 PM

I guess that I am the stupid one. I didn't realize that not all machines thread the same way!!