Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fidget blanket (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fidget-blanket-t147462.html)

Carron 08-25-2011 08:43 AM

Show us what you come up with.

countrycottage 08-25-2011 09:45 AM

My daughter made one of these for her grandmother who was in a nursing home and suffering with Alzheimer's. She made it out of bright colored fleece. Among the attachments that Grandmother seemed to enjoy most was the variety of ribbon, rickrack, lace, and other trims. The grograin ribbon had a rough texture, the satin was very smooth, etc. Unfortunately Grandmother wasn't able to use it very long before her death, but we left it with the nursing home to be washed and passed on to another resident. It's a wonderful way to help keep their hands busy.

callie 08-25-2011 10:06 AM

this is a great idea for nursing homes that are qualified for rehabilitation.... think maybe I need to make one - thanks to everyone for sharing....

Kathy T. 08-25-2011 10:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture I took at the Largo (Florida) quilt show earlier this year. They made what they called "tactile stimulation" quilts or fidget quilts. I thought it was a great idea.

JanieH 08-25-2011 10:23 AM

These are wonderful ideas. I wish I had known about them when my mother was suffering from this disease. Think I will also make some and donate them in her memory.

steinmag 08-25-2011 10:56 AM

Lovely! I sure wish I had known about one for my mother. She suffered with the disease for 5 years, spent the final year in a Nursing Home because my Dad got physically sick taking care of her, and died in 2000. Once I get caught up on the orders I have right now and the presents I'm making, I'm going to try one.

donnalynett 08-25-2011 11:07 AM

I made a quilt for giving with a lot of the zippers I had accumulated over the years. I inserted the zipper in a quilt square, then attached it to a backing square so they could unzip the zipper and have a place to put toys, etc. Did this with about every square using various size zippers. We aren't allowed to use buttons or other embellishments that could be pulled off and swallowed.

GrannieAnnie 08-25-2011 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by 29cathie
Does anyone have any idea how to make an Alzheimer fidget blanket? I have received lap quilts and have been asked to put zippers, buttons, ribbons and anything that will keep fidget hands busy while the body is sitting in the wheelchair. I have tried to google it but only get a small picture of an apron. Thanks.

Go to a kid's site and look for a learning blanket.

OR just put zippers, velcro, buttons, snaps, ties, and stuff on a piece of material with a backing. Make it up as you go.

watterstide 08-25-2011 11:38 AM

All Excellent ideas and samples.

i made one for my friends MIL..nothing fancy, but i made it to look like a fancy sheet..had the piping and top. beautiful robyn pandolf fabric. and i made it just to cover her from waist to toes. i used a satin for the top part. the whole time she was in the hosptial recovering from a hip fracture..she fussed over the hospital top sheet. so i just decided she needed something feminine and pretty to fuss with.

i also passed on my walker caddy to her, unfortunately she can't remember what the walker is for, or how to use it. it is so sad...

29cathie 08-25-2011 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by watterstide
All Excellent ideas and samples.

i made one for my friends MIL..nothing fancy, but i made it to look like a fancy sheet..had the piping and top. beautiful robyn pandolf fabric. and i made it just to cover her from waist to toes. i used a satin for the top part. the whole time she was in the hosptial recovering from a hip fracture..she fussed over the hospital top sheet. so i just decided she needed something feminine and pretty to fuss with.

i also passed on my walker caddy to her, unfortunately she can't remember what the walker is for, or how to use it. it is so sad...

That was a good idea and so nice of you to do that.